Study guide suggestions

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My friend is a 1000hr army helo pilot (with an FAA-transfered comm-ia helo certificate) who wants to get his FAA fixed wing certificates.

I wanted to direct him to the appropriate texts/CDs to help him along, would it be best to start from scratch with those available for private pilots?

I was looking at Gleims:

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/products.php?cat=PP

Do you think Gleim would be most compatible presentation for someone with a military background?

Bob Gardner's "The Complete Private/Advanced Pilot" books would also be excellent study sources.

I can't comment on the military background aspect, but I can attest to the suitability of Gleims FAA test prep to get that job done. The Private Pilot flight maneuvers book (which also contains the PTS and an oral exam study guide) is great prep for the training and check ride. To prep for the written, I'd suggest the FAA practice tests online from Sporty's (no charge for these).

I guess my only thought would be to avoid the King books and CDs, which I bought as part of the Cessna Pilot Center "package" -- I found it too joke-y and rambling. I should add mine is a minority view, as many others have said they learned alot from the King materials. However I have a very "linear" study approach -- just give me the facts -- so the "circular" approach of the King curriculum did not appeal to me. I ended up with the Jepp book which I liked much better.

I would second the suggestion of the Gleim book for the written, and the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide ("the blue book") for the oral. I know your friend is not yet at checkride stage, but when he is, the ASA book is like having bound flash cards.

And of course, "Stick and Rudder" ........

If a person has a Comm Rotocraft rating do they have to do the Private fixed wing or go straight to the Comm Fixed wing?

Let'sgoflying! said:
If a person has a Comm Rotocraft rating do they have to do the Private fixed wing or go straight to the Comm Fixed wing?
Up to the individual. They can do it as an additional category rating at either level. However, as this is an additional category, not just class, rating, this person has to meet all the training and aeronautical experience requirements for that category (14 CFR 61.63(b)(1)). That means if he wants a the ASEL added at the Commercial level, he will have to show in his log along with all his rotary wing time:

50 hours of Airplane PIC time (solo, if he doesn't have Pvt ASEL yet)
10 hours of XC time in Airplanes
20 hours of Commercial Pilot training in Airplanes including:
- 5 hours of instrument training in ASEL
- 10 hours of complex in Airplanes
- one 2-hour day XC in ASEL
- one 2-hour night XC in ASEL
10 hours of solo in ASEL including:
- 300nm XC
- 5 hours night with 10 to/ldg at a towered airport

...which is at least 70 hours of flying in airplanes, and then take a Commercial practical test. Or, he can start by getting only private privileges for ASEL with:

20 hours dual in ASEL including:
- 3 hours XC training
- 3 hours night training including 100nm XC and 10 to/ldg at a towered airport
- 3 hours flight training in ASEL on instruments
- 3 hours test prep
10 hours solo in ASEL including
- 5 hours XC including the 150nm XC
- 3 to/ldg at a towered airport

...which is at least 30 hours in airplanes, and then take a Private Practical test. This will allow him to get the other 40 hours of Airplane PIC time for his Commercial privileges while flying with passengers and during his Commercial complex/maneuvers/XC training with an instructor.

Note also that there's the issue of adding the Airplane class to his Instrument-Helicopter rating which I assume he has. That's another kettle of fish. Adding the "Airplane" to the "Instrument" will require:

ASEL on his certificate at Private or higher
10 hours XC PIC in Airplanes
15 hours instrument training from a CFI-IA in Airplanes including:
- 3 hours test prep
- 250nm IFR XC

Note that he's going to have to get at least the Private-ASEL before he gets that, which means he can't get a "full" Commercial right off the bat since he doesn't have an IA rating. Also, the Instrument training counts towards some of the Commercial requirements. Therefore, what most rotorheads do is get the Private level ASEL, add the Instrument, and then get the Commercial ASEL.

wow, more complicated than I thought. I will send it to him if you don't mind.
Thanks for taking the time Ron.

Let'sgoflying! said:
wow, more complicated than I thought.
Yeah -- an additional class rating (e.g., adding Autogyro to his current Rotorcraft-Helo) is easy, but an additional category rating (e.g., adding Airplane) is tough. Good news is he doesn't have to take any Airplane knowledge tests, either for Private, Commercial, or Instrument. Other good news is once he gets one Airplane rating (e.g., ASEL), adding another (e.g., AMEL) is just another class rating, so that will be easy.
I will send it to him if you don't mind.
Not at all.

Last edited:
Back