study for cfi and commercial at same time

rgrentz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rgrentz
I am currently finishing up all the flights for my commercial license. I plan on going on and getting my CFI, so my question to you ppl is would if I get the CFI study guide from sheppard air will that cover alot of what I will need to know for the commercial written too? If so I plan on taking the written for the CFI right after the written for the commercial. Thanks in advance for your reply

CFI pulls from the Commercial test bank. Study the CFI from Sheppard Air and you are good for both tests. Good choice going with Sheppard. Great way to knock out the tests.

There are slight difference, why not by the CFI pack and the commercial. There is a discount if you do this.

There are slight difference, why not by the CFI pack and the commercial. There is a discount if you do this.

The difference is the CFI has everything on the commercial and more. You'd be wasting your money buying both.

And your wasting time buying the CFI and studying those extra questions that won't be on your exam

And your wasting time buying the CFI and studying those extra questions that won't be on your exam

But, Sam, if the goal is CFI, and all the commercial questions are in the CFI test, what is the point of getting both if the CFI book will cover both?

All in all it won't make difference I suppose, if you are knocking them out quick it would help. It isn't a book, it is software for rote memorization of test questions and answers. And you will be memorizing things that won't be on your test.

The agi is substantially similar as well but there are enough questions about gryo's and balloons that it was worth the extra few bucks for me.

We are talking about $40 difference in pursuit of a commercial and CFI rating. It'll probably be fine either way.

I would buy the whole pack, and do the comm, cfi and AGI if you want it. Then knock out the FOI as the beast of its own.. If you get behind in your training, you can turn in your AGI and FOI for a ground instructor certificate so those will never expire.. If you took the IRA recently, knock out the II too.

If he's taking the CFI right after the commercial. Might as well study the CFI.

I just did this. Studied for the CFI written with Sheppard and took the Advanced Ground Instructor, Commercial and CFI tests at the same time. There were two questions on the Commercial test I hadn't seen before and (strangely) 4 or 5 on the CFI test I hadn't seen... but studying for one and passing 3 was the plan (just like when I studied for the Instrument test and took the instrument ground, instrument and CFII) and it worked like a charm.

Study for the CFI using Sheppard and take a few Commercial practice tests on Sporty's Study Buddy (there are a few extra questions there that weren't in Sheppard) and you'll be ready for the Commercial and CFI tests (and the Advanced Ground Instructor, if you're interested).

With Sheppard you may not see EVERY single question, but they will definitely get you in the 90%+ range. If you remember ones that you didn't see in the software and let them know about it(giving them the question and the possible answers) they will give you your money back for helping them out.

I did Commercial, CFI, and CFII in like a month start to finish. This was quite a few years back now, and the questions were "similar", but they most certainly weren't precisely the same. At least that was my impression.

If I were you I would Sheppard Air my way through each one in the proper order, which is exactly what I did.

Back