Students & CFIs: New Interactive PTS

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
Here’s the new Gold Seal multimedia version of the 2011/2012 PTS. It is abridged so that it only covers Airplane, Single Engine Land.

It’s highly interactive with a pretty unique hierarchical structure. Inside, blue links go to local (i.e. embedded) info. Underlined blue links go to external (i.e. internet based) info. This includes inline links to every AC referenced in the new PTS.

When you log in each time, it will ask if you want to resume where you left off. If you say yes, it will keep track of all the modules you’ve looked at. If you say no, it clears out the list. Not much value for an instructor, but probably very useful for a student who needs to cover everything.

It runs great on conventional computers. If you have an iPad, it runs on that, too, using the Articulate Mobile Player. The first time you run it in the iPad Safari, it will prompt you to install the free Mobile Player from the Appstore. After that, you can download the Multimedia PTS so that it can be run either online or offline (which means, no internet - no problem).

I think you’ll find it a lot easier to navigate than the linear paper version.

Here’s the link:
www.2012PTS.com

Last edited:
That's really cool. So glad I got done before the new standards! :)

Sadly, I will not be done. I have one more flight with my instructor to polish up a few details, and then (assuming nothing earth-shatteringly wrong happens) I'll be endorsed for my checkride. TS Beryl has pushed me back a few days. I was hoping to have my checkride early this week. I'm interested to see what my DPE will have to say regarding the new PTS.

I was hoping to have my checkride early this week. I'm interested to see what my DPE will have to say regarding the new PTS.

As of this Friday, your DPE will be testing using the new PTS. It's very important that you prepare for it. New manuevers include emergency descents and fully developed stall recovery. Also expect some in-depth discussions of Single Pilot Resource Management in your Oral.

As of this Friday, your DPE will be testing using the new PTS. It's very important that you prepare for it. New manuevers include emergency descents and fully developed stall recovery. Also expect some in-depth discussions of Single Pilot Resource Management in your Oral.

Well I've already been doing emergency descents and fully-developed stall recoveries, so that should be no problem. Not much SRM discussion, though. I'll just make sure to bring it up with my instructor.

The SRM stuff is covered in detail in the new PTS in the front section. Make sure to read over that. It's changed quite a bit from the old CRM coverage.

Going to do one for instrument rating?

Going to do one for instrument rating?

Not sure. It took about 100 hours to develop this one and that's a lot of time for a free product. On the other hand, the instrument PTS would go a little faster since the interface has already been built. So, possibly, but not any time in the near future.

Back