Student tries to get a flight in on vacation in Italy

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
My wife found a retreat in Italy that was in an old monastery in Umbria region where it was nine days with yoga and Italian cooking courses. Just got back. It was grueling. Never had more than an hour or two between sunrise and sunset (yoga began at 7:00 each morning...ugh) of free time.

Anyway, I'm a new student with all of three flying hours, and some months of theory. Towards the end of our time there I see a small plane fly over and land somewhere down in the valley below behind some trees so I couldn't see the runway. It was some distance off.

So I got on google maps, and tried to find the airport. It took a long time, I couldn't find any runways, but saw a long row of buildings that looked familiar in the general direction of where the plane landed. Zoomed in on satellite and saw the first third of what clearly was a plane being taken out of the hangar in th satellite photo. Bingo! It's a grass runway. That why I couldn't see it.

I see there are also two buildings there, and when I zoomed in I see it is an "avio club" so it isn't just a lone runway and hangar, there is a flying club there! Yay!

They had two bicycles at the monastery, so I grabbed one and about 40 minutes later arrived at the airport. As I'm walking around, one guy comes around the corner looking at me very doubtfully. I only speak a little Italian, and he only a little English. My main idea was, I wanted to book a flight so that my wife could ride along, to see how she liked flying also, since it's a long way to my PPL and if she didn't like to fly I might consider going for microplanes since it is less costly and less time, if it turned out I'd be flying alone a lot, etc.

But after talking with him, they only had micro there. He was mainly an acre pilot I eventually found out. Showed me videos of him flying, and he had won the Italian championship in acro some years back.

So I arranged instead (wife didn't want to fly with him alone when I called her from the airport) to fly in two days. So I was excited!

The day comes, I again cycle down to the airport, he doesn't show up, but a student of his does. We talk for a while he shows up, totally ignores me, not even a nod. Seems in a bad mood. I ask the student who says "he's always like that". They put the cowling on the plane, and take it out of the hangar. The student tells me he had done some modifications the night before and had to test before we could go up. He taxis, and comes back without taking off.

Turns out the trim indicator is not working. Gets a plastic chair out and places it at the tail and starts unscrewing things. His mechanic finally shows up (he'd been calling him for a half hour) and the two of them work in the plane. Still hasn't even acknowledged that I am there, not even a nod "hey". It's pretty weird.

At this point, my thinking was (was I wrong?) that it shows he is responsible in that he didn't just fly anyway, since I'm thinking if he was a seat of the pants badass he might have figured no big deal since he can still set and adjust trim. So I took it as a good sign.

After a while they fix it, and button it up. I also had watched his preflight check of the plane and though it wasn't all I so far have been taught he did seem to have a procedure and check.

Wind had picked up, was gusting a little, but the wind sock was never straight out. It went from barely up, to about half-cocked. So the student tells me he is now going to check the plane out, and also check conditions. He said at this point "it might be to on cub turbulence now, we may have to come back this afternoon or evening".

So the pilot takes off and almost does a loop just after takeoff. He was flying (maybe showing off...not sure but both the mechanic and student were making "ohhh" and "ahh" sounds, taking video, talking excitedly about "only that guy would fly like that now" ) and it was definitely impressive to me.

He lands, and finally addresses me, telling me it is too windy, too much turbulence (to me those are two different things, but I'm new to this...the wind didn't seem more than we've had in my three flights at home, and wasn't so much crosswind but mostly headwind. But I don't know how light microplanes differ for that) and we exchange phone numbers, if it gets better in the afternoon "around 6 or 7" I could come back.

Disappointed I cycle (uphill) back to the monastery. All this time my wife was texting, I didn't tell her they had to fix a problem when I thought we might still go up.

Very much a let down, the weather never improved enough, I never got to fly.
Sorry for the bad ending.

Still, was I showing bad judgment in this? Should I have called this off when they had to repair or when I heard he had done modifications to the plane? (Even that could be a language misunderstanding) he seemed "tired" and somewhat weary, but he really flew that plane!

Had many posters up on the club building of flying events, where he was flying. He had designed and built his own planes, etc.

I did think it was strange about the wind. It didn't seem abnormally high, but I had to trust his judgement. Especially considering we had agreed on 100 Euro for a 40 minute flight, he stood to make some good money but still declined. He also said "for ME it's ok, but not with a student" so there too I trusted his judgement.

Any thoughts?

Many times the European equivalent of general aviation flying can be quite disappointing when compared to what we have here in the states. It's quite limited and unnecessarily complex. When in Europe I find their version of LSA (called ultralight by them) flying to be simpler and more rewarding. A nice open cockpit gyroplane or trike flight around the countryside can be much more rewarding.

I hear there's some cool seaplane flying over there, also some REALLY cool vintage seaplanes, like biplanes on wooden floats, always wanted to check that out.

Just sounds like bad customer service to me. Only thing you did wrong was waiting around while the guy ignored you.

I think you have a great story to tell.

I wouldn't say at all that you showed bad judgment. You had an interesting experience in a beautiful foreign country. You met some people who were really different. You saw something that interested you. You spent nothing and you didn't risk injury. Nothing to criticize at all.

You noted the airfield was down in a valley. The hills and other terrain can create mechanical turbulence that could be uncomfortable for a passenger, like your wife, even when wind speed does not seem excessive in absolute terms.

As for people like the pilot and mechanic showing up "whenever", that pretty well sums up the experience in most Mediterranean region countries - Italy, Greece, Spain, and the south of France. It's part of the cultural charm of that region and something to be expected when travelling there.

Sounds like you had an interesting day, which is what travel is all about, non?

Bad judgment? No, sounds like you're doing great. You made flying connections in a foreign country. Wind and turbulence are fine and repairs happen. I'm sorry you didn't get to fly, but you got closer to it than I did.

When I was traveling in France I thought it would be neat to go flying and just maybe see if I could get Le Bourget in my logbook. After talking and investigating I finally found a place that could do it. But only if I paid up 500 euros to join their aéro-club, paid for insurance at 200 euros and THEN paid for the Warrior at 185/hour dry plus about 65 euros/hour for an instructor - these numbers are from memory, but you get the idea. I never tried to figure out what fuel cost. Needless to say a landing at Le Bourget is not in my logbook. There weren't many other options because the only way you can fly GA in France is to join a club and there aren't many to choose from.

Needless to say a landing at Le Bourget is not in my logbook. There weren't many other options because the only way you can fly GA in France is to join a club and there aren't many to choose from.

Well if it makes you feel any better I don't have any landings at Le Bourget either. Although I do have about 90 at Charles De Gaul !

Bad judgment? No, sounds like you're doing great. You made flying connections in a foreign country. Wind and turbulence are fine and repairs happen. I'm sorry you didn't get to fly, but you got closer to it than I did.

When I was traveling in France I thought it would be neat to go flying and just maybe see if I could get Le Bourget in my logbook. After talking and investigating I finally found a place that could do it. But only if I paid up 500 euros to join their aéro-club, paid for insurance at 200 euros and THEN paid for the Warrior at 185/hour dry plus about 65 euros/hour for an instructor - these numbers are from memory, but you get the idea. I never tried to figure out what fuel cost. Needless to say a landing at Le Bourget is not in my logbook. There weren't many other options because the only way you can fly GA in France is to join a club and there aren't many to choose from.

Whoa...I was ok with 100 Euros, but that was about the limit for me.

Just to mention (also to Art VanDelay and others) definitely I had a ball. Just even talking with the other italian student pilot, was fun. We talked about the characteristics of the plane, and watching the pilot "test" fly...that was pretty amazing.

The only thing I meant about "judgement" in question was, I show up at a litle Italian flying club. Some guy, who looked like I woke him up, peeks around and I talk with him, he tells me he won the Italian sport aviation acrobatic championship in Italy in like 1999. He says he has 25 or so years flying. He did show me some videos on youtube of him flying (cockpit view in some of them and I saw clearly it was him) so that made me trust that he was a good (maybe great) pilot. But maybe I should have researched on my own just a little. I don't know. When the elevator trim indicator wasn't working, as I thought about it that he didn't just say "it's ok, it doesn't have to be working as long as the trim works" but decided to fix it was a good sign. It's just in a foreign country you aren't sure about how careful etc. or if the person was who they say. Since coming back I did research (that I just as well could have done there the day before the flight was supposed to happen) and he is all he says he was. What an oppurtunity that was!

But if he had flown and said "hop in!" I was ready and hoping that would be the case. When I went back I kept hoping for the weather to calm down. Couldn't enjoy any wine with the meals, etc. just in case. But in the end I guess it wasn't to be.

But yeah, I had a ball anyway!

I hear there's some cool seaplane flying over there, also some REALLY cool vintage seaplanes, like biplanes on wooden floats, always wanted to check that out.

Seaplane is one of my favorite ride as it allows combine the fun of being airborne.

I tried to do the same thing in Clermont-Ferrand, France, a few years ago. I couldn't get the flying club to answer the phone or respond to email, and there was never any one at the club.

Oh well!

Back