Student renters insurance

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
Hi I've been lurking for a few days reading through the poa forum and this is my first post

I need renters insurance. Anyone know a good insurance company I should look at?

Last edited:
I had a non-owned Avemco policy for 3 or 4 years. When I bought an aircraft and was looking for an owner's policy, they were more than 2x the cost of the worst competing quote and were very unforthcoming as to the variables involved. As a result, I'm loathe to recommend Avemco, but would second talking to AOPA.

Starr offers higher sublimits (200k) than the other providers of non-owned insurance.

You may benefit from learning more about "non-owned and renters' aircraft insurance." You'll get many opinions and some information here, but may be best served by looking at the websites of various providers, including Avemco, AOPA, EAA (if a member), USAA, Starr, Travers, and other providers. Google will get you lots of information, and searching this website should have some good info, too.

My comments here are extremely simplified and may not be sufficient. You should talk with aviation insurance professionals.

The insurance provides certain amounts of liability insurance, typically with a per-passenger sub-limit. This covers things you damage (and/or people you injure) where you are found legally responsible.

It also provides insurance to cover physical damage to the airplane. You should talk with your flight school to see what they require and/or recommend.

I personally found most of the policies were similarly priced with similar coverages. When you buy insurance, you are essentially buying "a promise to pay."

If you are a high earner, have substantial assets, or expect you will down the line, your situation is more complicated and you should talk with your own advisors.

Insurance is straightforward, just takes a little learning, and you'll feel more comfortable with it. Congratulations on your flying progress and welcome to POA!

I've had AOPA, Avemco, and a local agency underwrite a renters policy...everybody is very similar in price in coverage for the most part. Usually you'll get a 10% discount if you renew with the same underwriter.

Never heard of star.

Hi I've been lurking for a few days reading through the poa forum and this is my first post

I'm nearing my solo and my instructor told me I need renters insurance. He recommended Starr insurance. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Anyone know a good insurance company I should look at?

yup. I haven't had to actually use the insurance but the folks at Facer Insurance Brokers are super. I recommend you speak with Nancy at 800-727-2147.

fyi...I did a head to head comparison of Starr vs AOPA and while AOPA rates were a bit less the person I was speaking with at AOPA seemed reluctant to answer questions regarding coverage and limits. I chose Facer/Starr and have never regretted it.

I had Starr my first year of ownership, but their premium went up considerably the next year so I switched. Not renters, but just my experience with them.

I used Travers to get my student owner insurance. My first policy was bought from Phoenix through them. I'm still using them, too. They're great folks. Shop around! AOPA and Avemco returned horrible quotes and policies by comparison, both then and now.

I've used AOPA. Looked into Avemco on year and prices were nearly identical. I've heard good things about EAA as well.

The 10% discount is nice.

Thanks for the reviews, I'm also looking for rental insurance.

I'm nearing my solo and my instructor told me I need renters insurance. He recommended Starr insurance. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Anyone know a good insurance company I should look at?

My son and I have had AOPA renters since we started.

I've had good luck with avemco, they issue what they write which is good.

Back