Student Question re Required Equipment under 91.213(d)(2)

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Curious question.

Paraphrasing FAR 92.213(d)(2) a bit, it's my understanding that a small (<12,500 lbs), non-turbine (i.e. non-MEL) aircraft requires: (i) the equipment prescribed by airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated, (ii) the equipment listed on the aircraft's "required equipment list" or "Kinds of Operation" equipment lists (found in the Flight Manual), (iii) the "A TOMATO FLAMES" equipment listed in 91.205(b), and (iv) any equipment required by Airworthiness Directive.

What are some small plane examples of the equipment contemplated by the underlined language above?

This is a bit of a guess....

The required equipment list doesn't exist for older aircraft. The POH is not required prior to 1976; this means you have to go back to the type certificate! So, an example might be a working battery for a Cessna 172A.

If your aircraft has a POH with a required equipment list, that covers the case you're worried about. It probably covers day VFR equipment as well, but need not cover night VFR or IFR.

But that isn't all the required equipment. You are also required to have a transponder if operating over 10,000 feet, within 30 miles of Class B, or within, above or below Class C. Operable anticollision lights for sufficiently new aircraft or any aircraft equipped with them. Flotation devices if operating outside gliding range of land for hire. Parachutes if exceeding 60 deg bank or 30 deg pitch.

You'd have to dig into either FAR Part 23 or, for older aircraft, CAR 3 to find the answers, and then you'd have to find the version in effect at the time the aircraft was certified. However, generally speaking, if you refer to the documents for the aircraft (mainly the AFM, POH, owner's manual, TCDS, as applicable) along with 91.205 and any AD's, you'll be covered.

Back