Student Question re Chart Symbol for Pilot Controlled Lighting

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
I'm working through the ASA oral exam guide. On p. 5-4, in the section on Cross-Country Flight Planning, Part A re Navigation, there's a question about locating items on sectional charts. The question suggests that I should be able to separately identify the following on a chart:

Part-time lighting
Pilot Controlled Lighting

I would have thought the answer to both was "*L".

In my limited experience, I have only run across an "L" (full time lighting"), or a "*L" (lighting with restrictions, go see the AFD). I have not stumbled on a chart symbol that tells me for sure that the airport has PCL.

On p.53, though, the FAA's latest "Aeronautical Chart User's Guide" says that the following symbol is used to designate pilot-controlled lighting:

L-in-a-Circle_Symbol.jpg

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/digital/aero_guide

Unless I'm missing it somehow, none of the Los Angeles area airports have this symbol. Do any of you know of an airport that has this symbol on the chart?

They don't exist in my area either. We use the AFD for that.

In the Sectional chart datablock, "L" means lighting (all hours) and "*L" means some limitations to lighting.
IN both instances you have to have the AFD for the PCL frequency, see the "airport remarks" section.

Note that the page you're referring to, page 53, is in the "IFR Aeronautical Charts" section, as opposed to the VFR chart section.

And the only codes I know about for VFR charts are, like you say, L and *L.

Circle-L used to be the PCL lighting on sectionals back years ago when it was a relatively new phenomenon (used to have L for dusk to dawn, L* for lighting on request, and circle-L for PCL). Now L includes dusk-to-dawn, PCL, or places where ATC can turn the lights on for you. L* is for other bizarre cases (like you have to call someone on the phone to get the lights on).

Note that the page you're referring to, page 53, is in the "IFR Aeronautical Charts" section, as opposed to the VFR chart section.

And the only codes I know about for VFR charts are, like you say, L and *L.

Thanks. That explains it. My error as usual.

I found some circle-L symbols on an IFR chart. KEMT for example has a *L symbol on the VFR charts and a circle-L symbol on the IFR charts.

Thanks again Russ, Ron, Bruce!

Back