Student question about filling out a log book

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I don't really like my log book that I currently have and want to go with a different brand. Plus the handwriting is kind of sloppy. I have several pages filled out by my instructors (2 guys) and I am sure they will not want to re-write everything.

Would it be legal for me to write the entries myself (times, comments, etc) in a new log book and have the instructors sign the entries?

Keep the old logbook, carry the balances forward to the first line of a new logbook. Go on from there. You'll need to produce the old logbook for proof of hours and training received.

Sign and date the old log book with a statement that all the total times are being transferred to the new log book on this date. Cross off the rest of the page and start the new log book stating that times were transferred from the old log book on this date and sign.
Keep both log books for any checkrides and such.

Hi,

I don't really like my log book that I currently have and want to go with a different brand. Plus the handwriting is kind of sloppy. I have several pages filled out by my instructors (2 guys) and I am sure they will not want to re-write everything.

Would it be legal for me to write the entries myself (times, comments, etc) in a new log book and have the instructors sign the entries?

Check with the two instructors. If they agree, then it shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, the day may come when you cherish that old, sloppy log book, so you might want to just keep it like the other posters here suggest.

Why? All you should care about are the hours you fly. If those are legible then you can present them to anyone that may care, like a DPE, another CFI, or an insurance company.

If you fly long enough, you will end up with a box full of old logbooks. Just get a new one, transfer the hours as has been suggested, but you will still end up with messes when you get more training and have more CFIs enter hours and scribble in them.

Hi,

Yes that is legal. Keep the old logbook just in case if you need to provide someone (say DPE on the checkride) with the intructor's signatures.
Then you can do one of two things. Copy the entries yourself into a new logbook (as you said) or just add up the hours and transfer only the final hours to the next logbook. In other words the amount forward row on the first page of the new logbook will have the total hours from your original logbook.
Whatever you do (unless you get the intructors to sign your new logbook), do not get rid if the original one.

If you do file that logbook away somewhere, do yourself a favor and scan or take pictures of each page first.. Just in case..

Entities that look at logbooks (CFI's, employers and FAA) want to see the original entries. They don't like copies or redos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back