Student Pilot - Video of Long Cross Country to Santa Barbara

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Here’s an annotated video of my long cross country flight from John Wayne to Santa Barbara Airport:

http://youtu.be/4RPUNzrWb2w

The flight was northwest at 3000, under the LAX bravo shelves, and then west at 6500 over Burbank. From a few months ago, but got sidetracked on the editing until now.

I flew a second leg to Camarillo on the way back, and then headed home. It was a fun day, and it was nice to remember it while finishing up the edits.

The flight was beautiful in that the last 20-30 minutes were along the Santa Barbara coastline, with the Pacific Ocean to the left and the mountains to the right.

It was a little smoggy at the start of the flight, but otherwise a clear California day.

I planned to try the GPS on this flight as I had little experience with it up to this point. I painstakingly entered my flight path into the Garmin, only to have it stop working early in the flight. It did work during legs 2 and 3 (and was comforting to have), but it was a good lesson in not relying on it.

The flight was a lot more relaxing than it might seem due to the editing. In real time, there was a lot of dead time to just look around and soak it all in. I cut out most of the talking to myself (haha), but left some of my verbal 'thinking" so you can see how I occupied some of that time.

I saw an E-2 Hawkeye on the way ("Ghost 21"), a twin-prop plane with a radar dish on top. It was called out by approach, but I didn't know what it was until I did the editing. Darn. Had I known, I would have focused on it a little more.

My landing was pretty crappy owing to the light crosswind and my student skill, but all worked out well.

This was a few months ago. I finished my training and am now a private pilot. I didn't think I'd ever get back to this, but finally found some time to do the editing.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I hope mine goes that well.

Great video! I would have loved to have learned in a an area like that.

I love the video. Looks like you have good visibility... The controllers at John Wayne sure talk fast LOL...

I see the Harmony parked next to it in the video. I assume the differences are minor? Both have the 912 I assume, both carbed or injected?

"Follow the 101..." Great video.

I did that exact same flight for one of my solo XC. Except I went through the LASFR area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What software is the NAV Log?

I did that exact same flight for one of my solo XC. Except I went through the LASFR area

I'd like to try that some time, particularly the "Special Flight Rules" area since that's the one that has you flying directly over the LAX runways.

As I understand it, my flight school doesn't let students use any of the VFR routes through the LAX bravo. I'll have to study up and do it soon.

You're doing a fine job and will be an above average pilot, very smooth. Special flight rules are pretty cool when the jumbos are taking off below you.........that approach into SBA along the coast is spectacular and it just doesn't get any better unless its Catalina.

awesome! I even helped in contributing towards your flying fund via Google Adsense ;)

Cool. However, I'm YouTube-naive. What does Google Adsense do? Will I be rolling in the dough, rich beyond my wildest dreams?

You'll get a whopping $0.06-0.15 every time someone clicks on an ad in ur video (some ads you get more others less)...don't click it yourself though, because google will ban you. You also get $0.01 for every 1,000 views or something like that. Once you have have $100 in your adsense account, you'll get a check in the mail. God bless google.

Last edited:
Sub'd very nice videos. May I ask how you get such crystal clear comm recording? ATC in your video sounds exactly as you'd hear it in your headset. So many other youtube videos have distorted incoming calls.

Sub'd very nice videos. May I ask how you get such crystal clear comm recording? ATC in your video sounds exactly as you'd hear it in your headset. So many other youtube videos have distorted incoming calls.

This describes my recorded audio as well. Not sure why.

For what it's worth, this is my approach.

I record ambient noise on the GoPro and record a separate audio track onto my iPhone’s “Voice Memos” app using an audio adapter from Pilot USA. Here’s one like mine (mine has a straight cord, rather than a coiled one, but is otherwise the same):

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8650

Because the plug turns off the iPhone's microphone, and it’s tapped directly from the connection between my headset and the plane’s radio/intercom system, the ATC track recorded onto the iPhone doesn’t have ANY engine noise.

It creates an alignment issue, but during editing, with an engine track from the GoPro, and a communications track from the iPhone, I can adjust their relative volume to my liking.

For what it's worth, this is my approach.

I record ambient noise on the GoPro and record a separate audio track onto my iPhone’s “Voice Memos” app using an audio adapter from Pilot USA. Here’s one like mine (mine has a straight cord, rather than a coiled one, but is otherwise the same):

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8650

Because the plug turns off the iPhone's microphone, and it’s tapped directly from the connection between my headset and the plane’s radio/intercom system, the ATC track recorded onto the iPhone doesn’t have ANY engine noise.

It creates an alignment issue, but during editing, with an engine track from the GoPro, and a communications track from the iPhone, I can adjust their relative volume to my liking.

Awesome, thanks for sharing your setup. I'm guessing that it's so clear because of the iPhone's ability to auto attenuate. I'll order that same adapter.

Awesome, thanks for sharing your setup. I'm guessing that it's so clear because of the iPhone's ability to auto attenuate. I'll order that same adapter.

Also, don't forget to put your iPhone in "airplane" mode so that you don't record the alert sounds associated with unexpected calls or texts during your flight.

Where do you find the Orange Departure? Is it in the AF/D? Also, curious to why you contacted a CFI from the taxiway, is that for rental/billing for long taxi times?

Where do you find the Orange Departure? Is it in the AF/D?

That's a really good question. I just looked and it's NOT in the AF/D.

There are four named departure headings, an El Toro (080), a Newport (150), a Mesa (220), and an Orange (330), based on the name of the general area you're heading toward on each one. They basically have you flying away on one of four diagonals, angled away from the straight-out 190 heading that the departing passenger jets use.

Although it's not in the AF/D, it's public knowledge. The airport's website, for example, has this PDF:

JWAPilotInfoGuide-092010.pdf

And, I believe, it's mentioned in the privately published "Guide to California Airports."

If you were a visiting pilot and relied only on knowledge from the AF/D when talking to clearance, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be any big deal if you didn't ask for an "Orange Departure" and simply asked for something generic like a right downwind departure. It would probably result in "Orange-like" instructions to "on departure, fly heading 330"

Also, curious to why you contacted a CFI from the taxiway, is that for rental/billing for long taxi times?

Hmm. Maybe. Hope not though, since I already pay a premium to taxi around with a running Hobbs meter.

I think it's to make sure that I opened the flight plan, but more importantly I think, it lets them start their own timer that allows them to take some action if I don't arrive on time based on the ETA from my flight plan.

There are a bunch of wall hooks behind the dispatcher that hold the binders and keys for each plane. I've noticed that whenever a student goes out alone, they hang up a big red card that says "SOLO" in place of the keys. I'm not sure where the actual timer is.

Last edited:
You'll get a whopping $0.06-0.15 every time someone clicks on an ad in ur video (some ads you get more others less)...don't click it yourself though, because google will ban you. You also get $0.01 for every 1,000 views or something like that. Once you have have $100 in your adsense account, you'll get a check in the mail. God bless google.
I figured that one out the hard way. Almost had $100..

Nice video.
Just looking at that airspace gives me a headache.
Must be a west coast thing to say "thank you" after every transmission. :mad2:
What's the charge to rent one of those things?

I figured that one out the hard way. Almost had $100..

Nice video.
Just looking at that airspace gives me a headache.
Must be a west coast thing to say "thank you" after every transmission. :mad2:
What's the charge to rent one of those things?

The "thanks" is probably just me. Should I stop? Is it annoying?

They run about $125 an hour. A Cessna 172 goes for $155-$165 for comparison with another local price.

This was awesome to watch -- thanks for sharing!

I've just started my training down in Louisiana. Not nearly as crowded compared to where you are!

I grew up not far from John Wayne -- pretty cool watching you fly from there. Love following the 101! I need to move back to California.

Rob

They run about $125 an hour. A Cessna 172 goes for $155-$165 for comparison with another local price.
Whew.

That's completely up to you. I'm not a fan of it, but that's just me. They're doing their jobs. I thank them when they've really gone out on a limb to help me.

Wow. A 152 here is $89 and a 172 is 109. Flying club prices are less.... I guess I'm lucky.

Wow. A 152 here is $89 and a 172 is 109. Flying club prices are less.... I guess I'm lucky.

Is your $109 dry? My flight school in NY (KFRG) charges a C172S $155/hr and a C172SP with G1000 $160/hr wet. considering the plane burns 10-11 gallon/hr ($5.85/gallon), it's not really a bad rate.

Wet, that's for a '79 N model. And if I join a flying club, it's $115 wet for a very well equipped 2002 172. Plus monthly dues.

Last edited:
Nice video, always great to build student skills in that LA area, Im working on my CFI and I still get nervous thinking about going into that area. You should fly into KCRQ - Palomar if you havnt already. Also go down to SD , that whole coastal > harbor > SAN transition is a fun route to do.

Last edited:
Nice video, always great to build student skills in that LA area, Im working on my CFI and I still get nervous thinking about going into that area. You should fly into KCRQ - Palomar if you havnt already. Also go down to SD , that whole coastal > harbor > SAN transition is a fun route to do.

My friend and first passenger asked to go to Palomar, but I haven't been there yet and wanted to take him somewhere I've already been (Catalina). I flew past Palomar once on the way to Ramona (KRNM); really pretty flight along the coast

Can you explain more about the "coastal > harbor > SAN transition?" Is is in the San Diego TAC?

Good luck with the CFI? Planning on flying for a living?

I did TOA to CRQ yesterday. Requested Flight Following, wonderful day to fly!

My friend and first passenger asked to go to Palomar, but I haven't been there yet and wanted to take him somewhere I've already been (Catalina). I flew past Palomar once on the way to Ramona (KRNM); really pretty flight along the coast

Can you explain more about the "coastal > harbor > SAN transition?" Is is in the San Diego TAC?

Good luck with the CFI? Planning on flying for a living?

I've only done it once a few years back, so I would check with a CFI over it. But you basically go down the coast to the edge of point loma (light house), while your basically a few hundred above the water, also you have to ask for a transition right past la jolla because of the bravo (call up lindberg tower), after that you will turn left into the harbor, military controllers will ask you to stay clear of the subs/carriers, and then follow the harbor towards the coronado bridge, at that point asking for the transition over SAN tower, you turn around after passing coronado bridge and be ready to pass SAN field, then you head northwest towards mount soledad (cross statue) which gets you back to the coast. Dont forget to bring your camera, and go on a sunny day like today :). I guarantee it will be one of your favorite flights ever.

This is just a basic idea of how it works, yeah im out of KCRQ doing this for a living. Ive flown into john wayne once, great airport, they made me do my first side step in my instrument training days. Its a very intimidating place with all the 121 stuff going on.

Last edited:
I've only done it once a few years back, so I would check with a CFI over it. But you basically go down the coast to the edge of point loma (light house), while your basically a few hundred above the water, also you have to ask for a transition right past la jolla because of the bravo (call up lindberg tower), after that you will turn left into the harbor, military controllers will ask you to stay clear of the subs/carriers, and then follow the harbor towards the coronado bridge, at that point asking for the transition over SAN tower, you turn around after passing coronado bridge and be ready to pass SAN field, then you head northwest towards mount soledad (cross statue) which gets you back to the coast. Dont forget to bring your camera, and go on a sunny day like today :). I guarantee it will be one of your favorite flights ever.

This is just a basic idea of how it works, yeah im out of KCRQ doing this for a living. Ive flown into john wayne once, great airport, they made me do my first side step in my instrument training days. Its a very intimidating place with all the 121 stuff going on.

Wow. Thank you for the detailed description and the graphics! I will add this to my list of flights to make in the near future.

From a new just-for-fun pilot, best of luck with your continued flying!

Back