Student Pilot Shopping List

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby is starting to train his first student. He drew up this list. Would you agree?

• Airplane Flying Handbook
  • Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
  • FAR/AIM
  • PTS
  • ASA Oral Guide
  • King Videos
  • Current Sectional
  • Current A/FD
  • Kneeboard
  • Logbook
  • 2 pencils
  • POH or AFM
  • E6B or Calculator
  • Gleim TestPrep
  • Headset
  • Gatts jar and fuel stick
  • Flashlight (keyring size)
  • View limiting device
  • Extra batteries for headset, flashlight, calculator

What is a kneeboard used for?

I like a little spiral notebook that I use to write down start / stop times, ASOS, fuel added, number of landings, draw a sketch of runways (with numbers) for the airport I am headed for to make it easy to figure out which is which when I get there without having to dig out the big book, etc.

That's a pretty comprehensive list. I might not agree with the specific publishers of some of the training materials (I have my own preferences), and some students do better with books or interactive computer programs than watching John and Martha, but that's a personal issue.

You are asking students to fork over a great deal of money for stuff they don't need. Why would a pp student need a view limiting device? For those whole three hours required? A/FD and POH can be looked up online for free. So can the FAR/AIM. Just make sure the FAR/AIM is current for a checkride. Gatts jar and fuel stick: don't you have one in the plane? Kneeboard? Videos for a few hundred?

Sorry, but student expenses are high enough, I think you are asking too much. Most students don't finish. Those who do will end up with that stuff. People I know didn't buy a headset until they were sure they would finish.

Hubby is starting to train his first student. He drew up this list. Would you agree?

• FAR/AIM
  • PTS
  • ASA Oral Guide
  • King Videos
  • Current Sectional
  • Current A/FD
  • Kneeboard
  • Logbook
  • 2 pencils
  • POH or AFM
  • E6B or Calculator
  • Gleim TestPrep
  • Headset
  • View limiting device

I'd suggest getting these items in stages. And some of the items are free on the FAA website, no need to spend money if you have network access.

Yes, it's important to have the PTS, various study pubs, test prep, an oral exam guide, but it's not critical to have them at the beginning. And some people do not do well learning with videos. Need to determine the student's learning style and then decide if the videos are useful or not before spending the money. I can speak first hand that I learned nothing relating to getting my certs using King or Jepp videos. Fortunately I didn't pay for the use of the videos (worked at Jepp at the time) or I would have been incredibly annoyed at the wasted money.

I got a lot of that I didn't need. The kneeboard turned out to be useless in my plane. It interfered with the yolk. The foggles were nice to have, but I could've borrowed some. I really like my flight bag which was given to me last year. From Sportys.

You are asking students to fork over a great deal of money for stuff they don't need. Why would a pp student need a view limiting device? For those whole three hours required? A/FD and POH can be looked up online for free. So can the FAR/AIM. Just make sure the FAR/AIM is current for a checkride. Gatts jar and fuel stick: don't you have one in the plane? Kneeboard? Videos for a few hundred?

Sorry, but student expenses are high enough, I think you are asking too much. Most students don't finish. Those who do will end up with that stuff. People I know didn't buy a headset until they were sure they would finish.

What he said- hold off on spending a ton of money upfront.

Spend it on flying and if it feels like its something you really just cant live without (it happens a lot) get the medical out if the way next. Then start buying stuff. As much as I enjoy browsing sporty's site and flipping through the catalog, Its generally cheaper to improvise a lot of things... I downloaded the PHAK from the FAA website for free. For a knee board, I bought a small clipboard and notepad. I don't put it on my knee. I also use a lot of binder clips to keep the sectional folded in a way that I can see what I need and it remains manageable. They also make great potato chip bag clips if you have too many! (but sectional charts in the airplane will generally come after the medical, and the first solo flights...) AF/D - AOPA airports app- free if your an AOPA member, and that's free for 6 months as a student. (I think)

Last edited:
I would add:

Class III student medical.

I know a lot of CFIs seem to skip past this little speed bump until the student is ready to solo - but not every student will be ready for the "breathe on the mirror" test. And it's a heckuva learning experience to show up to get that medical then find out that, "Oh, you mean that ADD thing I dealt with back in 6th grade matters?"

Just to toss out some thoughts:

You simply cannot have too many flashlights.... but the student doesn't need any until starting to fly at night.

2 pencils? The student will need pens too? more than 2 would be a good idea.

Why specify King videos? and why a Gatts jar and fuel stick?

Suggest making sure the student knows where some of those things are available for free on the net.

I have an old Samsonite Two-Suiter that I'm not using if he needs something to carry all that crap around.

My suggested corrections:

[*]FAR/AIM available online, free
  • PTS
    [*]ASA Oral Guide available online, free
    [*]King Videos Let the student decide. Rod Machado's book is better/easier to understand anyway
  • Current Sectional
  • Current A/FD
    [*]Kneeboard Useless for Private Pilots
  • Logbook
  • 2 pencils
    [*]POH or AFM Airplane should have this already
  • E6B or Calculator
    [*]Gleim TestPrepavailable online for free
  • Headset
    [*]Gatts jar and fuel stick Plane should have this
    [*]View limiting device Borrow/Make own

Flying's too expensive as it is, my thought would be to reduce cost to the student as much as possible. Also note that there are way too many different ground school training methods on here - pick one, and go with it. A good one will already have test prep built in (note - the FAA's free guides don't have them, but can be just as useful if combined with free test prep online).

• Logbook
  • Headset
  • Sunglasses (Really)
  • Pens/ Pencils
  • Small wirebound notebook
  • Pick one of the following:
    • ASA Flight and Ground school texts
    • Jeppesen Private Pilot text
    • Kershner Private Pilot text
    • Gardner private Pilot text
  • Pilot's Encyclopedia of Aeronautical Knowledge
  • Airplane Flying handbook
  • Wal-Mart Eveready headlamp
  • AF/D
  • Sectional
  • Plotter
  • E6B

Eventually add a PTS (either print out or buy)

I second the recommendation for good sunglasses. My eyes have always been more light sensitive. I like nonpolarized sunglasses for two reasons. If the aircraft has LCD displays often they do not appear correctly with polarized sunglasses. The other reason is universal. Many times I have spotted traffic from the glint of sunlight off of the wing or fuselage. Polarized sunglasses potentially block this reflected glare.

I do nearly always wear and use my kneeboard as a private pilot. I started using it when I had about 10-15 hours. I use it to take notes from ATIS/AWOS, write down times, clip the chart, etc. But I fly out of a towered airport where I generally want to take down the ATIS information. Whatever works for you.

• FAR/AIM
  • PTS
  • ASA Oral Guide
  • King Videos
  • Current Sectional
  • Current A/FD
  • Kneeboard
  • Logbook
  • 2 pencils
  • POH or AFM
  • E6B or Calculator
  • Gleim TestPrep
  • Headset
  • View limiting device

Overall a good list, but I don't think the King videos are really worth the money. I watched their Multi-Engine video and it made me want to gag.

As for buying the printed books vs using the free online stuff - this is going to be student dependent. Give them the option, but try to make sure they are actually using the material. Problem with going with the free online stuff is that all to often people make that choice on a cost basis and don't actually read the stuff. Some people learn better with hardcopy materials. Personally, if I am reading to really learn something, I like printed copies. I prefer the electronic stuff for backup reference, but that is just me.

And the fuel stick....that depends on the plane involved. If the student is one specific 172 for all of their training or the training fleet is standardized so that they all have the exact same tank configuration, then the fuel stick might be a worthy investment, but for student pilot purposes, I don't think you really need to be messing with a fuel stick.

My suggested corrections:

[*]FAR/AIM
    available online, free
  • PTS

[*]ASA Oral Guide
    available online, free

[*]King Videos
    Let the student decide. Rod Machado's book is better/easier to understand anyway
  • Current Sectional
  • Current A/FD

[*]Kneeboard
    Useless for Private Pilots
  • Logbook
  • 2 pencils

[*]POH or AFM
    Airplane should have this already
  • E6B or Calculator

[*]Gleim TestPrep
    available online for free
  • Headset

[*]Gatts jar and fuel stick
    Plane should have this

[*]View limiting device
    Borrow/Make own
Flying's too expensive as it is, my thought would be to reduce cost to the student as much as possible. Also note that there are way too many different ground school training methods on here - pick one, and go with it. A good one will already have test prep built in (note - the FAA's free guides don't have them, but can be just as useful if combined with free test prep online).

+1......

Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are also available free from the FAA(http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/)
As well as the PTS(http://http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/)

Obviously the first two it depends on how someones reading tolerance is for books on a screen.

On the other items, personally I loved my kneeboard as a student, had a little form I could write airport frequencies on and everything else and always had it at hand, and still use it exactly the same way.

I got a lot of that I didn't need. The kneeboard turned out to be useless in my plane. It interfered with the yolk.
Of course it did! There's no way to make decent eggs over easy while flying - only scrambled!
The foggles were nice to have, but I could've borrowed some. I really like my flight bag which was given to me last year. From Sportys.

Kings make me want to gag. Understand they have a good following and i'm happy for them - that they can make a good living teaching people about aviation. But not for me. Too cheesy.

I would add:

I know a lot of CFIs seem to skip past this little speed bump until the student is ready to solo - but not every student will be ready for the "breathe on the mirror" test. And it's a heckuva learning experience to show up to get that medical then find out that, "Oh, you mean that ADD thing I dealt with back in 6th grade matters?"

This 1000x.

Happened to me, I started lessons found out I was going to have a few issues, and had to put the breaks on. That was a year ago. Getting your ducks in a row can take some time and legwork (especially if you're employed full time). Which brings me to my next point.

Do not just send the student off to an AME, make sure they fill out the form first and figure out if they are going to have to check any boxes. If the student is older, they probably should get a physical done before going to the AME as well. This medical forum here and on the AOPA forums along with the search tool are invaluable for figuring out what you need to do for any issues found (thanks Dr. Bruce!)

I had a lot of fun in my first batch of lessons but stalling out has been frustrating. Although admittedly that fun I had in my first lessons has helped keep me motivated to keep plodding forward.

Also I would agree with the rest of the posters here. The choice of training materials (King, ASA, etc) is pretty personal. Jepp was to dry for me, Kings too cheesy, etc. I'd suggest recommend students do their research instead telling 'em what to buy outright.

I would add:

+1 on getting the medical out of the way at the beginning of training rather than waiting until solo time. Especially if the student is in his upper 30's or older.

It's better to discover any possible medical difficulties and address them before many AMU's are spent on training just to find out you need to delay because of a medical reason.

I'm definitely sticking with printed materials -- except possibly for AIM/FAR. Sorry, Nick, we cannot be friends anymore (just kidding).

I find a kneeboard essential. I did not go out and buy a tree-fold, as some are reported to do. Just got a simple aluminum board with a clip, which served me well past my checkride, when I became serious about customizing my flying environment. Eventually I bought a Harper kneeboard, because I prefer the 7-hole format for everything. Note, however, that the way to use (or not to use) a kneeboard is very personal. It depends on the body type, control layouts, etc. Harper with hard rings does in fact interfere with yoke on C172 (but not on C150 - go figure).

The extent to which everyone does thing differently is... rather large. For example, I always have frequences for departure, destination, and alternate airports pre-printed on the note paper. Costs me a minute in OpenOffice. It was a life-saver in Class C, and my CFI approved of it. But now I'm questioning if it prevents me from reading official materials in case of unforseen circumstances. So, I'm trying to switch to Flight Guide pages on Harper (7-hole, see).

The executive summary here is to start as small as possible. For example, I only bought my headset the week before checkride, when I knew what I wanted (a DC H10.13S).

P.S. I almost always fly without sunglasses. Have to make a conscious effort to put them on.

P.P.S. Around here they always ask students to get medicals before the "discovery flight".

P.S. I almost always fly without sunglasses. Have to make a conscious effort to put them on.

I can't read the numbers on the com radio with sunglasses on, so I make a conscious effort to take them off.

P.P.S. Around here they always ask students to get medicals before the "discovery flight".

Do they have the decency to mention the sport pilot option and explain that you are screwed for life if you try and fail (but not if you fail to try)? Or do they take the "We don't have an LSA to rent to them so the heck with them..." position.

I wouldn't be quick to cut out the kneeboard. While it doesn't specifically have to be an aviation kneeboard strapped to his leg, a clipboard or something that can hold his flight log is going to be necessary. The private curriculum (and PTS) require that the pilot compute his groundspeed, etc... and it will entail writing on something (most likely the flight log).

He can pass it along to the next guy after he takes his check ride and follows the GPS-derived purple line, ground speed, and time to destination for everywhere he goes.

Unless he's an aircraft owner, fuel strainers and dipsticks are spurious. They should be in the plane. Frankly in most circumstances, dipsticks aren't practical. Use the manufacturer provided quantity indications (which will probably be full tanks or tabs if equipped) or know how much specifically you added.

While almost every FAA pub is available online, having a FAR/AIM book as well as the printed charts and AF/D is going to be way more practical during training and the check ride.

Thanks for all the input. One thing this discussion points out is that pilots are all different.

Capt. Geof: We started with a kneeboard as one of our first purchases as student pilots. I have become accustomed to using it for nearly every flight, but regularly take it off for landings because it tends to fall on the floor about then. It contains my checklists in plastic sleeves and other semi-permanent information. I moved on to making notes on 3x5 index cards and paperclipping them to the pages of the kneeboard. New and old cards are stored in the kneeboard. There is also a much larger lapboard that is perfect for long cross-country flights. Lately, I've started using a small notepad more and more. Maybe the kneeboard will go away. But, in the final analysis, I'm glad to have started knowing that I needed something to write notes on and what the notes should contain.

Cap'n Ron: Agreed that different publishers are available. But, how do you find out which specific publishers work for a new student? How can they sample different ones? Do you have a lending library so they can sample? Anyway, once again you are right, the concept is more important than the specified brand.

blue: Quite right about looking up the FAR/AIM online. Hubby offers that as an option. I guess you are right about the foggles. I don't know a pilot who doesn't own some sort of view-limiting device, so it didn't occur that you might not buy one. As far as the Gatts jar and fuel stick... somehow they always seem to be missing from rental planes. And, finally, the headset. Hubby and I had been flying locally and were given a headset to wear whenever we took a lesson and then we went to Florida to a school only to find that students had to have their own headsets. We had to buy the only headsets that we could get by the next day. They now sit in under the back seat of our plane and are available to be loaned to students who don't bring their own. Students are not offered our really nice noise cancelling headsets.

Murphey: Great idea to get these items in stages. What would you start with?

David B: Didn't put a flight bag into the list. I like the small one I have that came with a notebook computer. For awhile, I just put my kneeboard and logbook into my headset bag. What do you like about yours?

Mattl: Agreed on holding off. Hubby and I were astonished as time went by how many things we needed and things we thought we needed but didn't really. This list is intended to lead to a discussion of the unexpected costs of being a pilot. It is more than just getting the skinny black tie and epaulets. How is it that you learned to browse Sporty's?

Matthew: Class III medical. Yes. That should be on the list. Certainly need to talk about it anyway.

Bob: I have never needed a pen. If someone requires something be in ink, they can provide a pen. Gatts jar is required around here. We don't dump our expensive fuel into the ground water.

Wayne: Oooohhhh. Can I have it? One of those great old brownish ones? I have the train makeup kit to match in my attic.

Nick: As much fun as Rod Machado's stuff is to read, I find it also puts me to sleep. Go figure. Are you allowed to take the POH home to study?

Dan: Great suggestions in your list. Thanks. Love it. We totally forgot about sunglasses. Hubby has those clip-ons for his glasses, but I cannot tolerate any clip-on. My prescription glasses were a problem, too, so I wear a ball cap and squint. But, you are completely correct, the sunglasses belong on the list. Does the headlamp work for you? I have a clip-on light for my ball cap, but feel I look silly.

Write-stuff: Nice primer.

Fearless: Good point. If he will be flying a lot of different type of aircraft during training, he would need lots of sticks. Wouldn't that variety of aircraft slow down his ability to learn to fly?

Murphey: I think that cooking anything while flying is far too distracting. I try to keep looking outside the plane most of the time and during that time, the eggs stick to the pan.

Dave: You are certainly right. The guy who would have been Hubby's first student ran into medical problems and won't be flying for awhile.

All: Thanks for the feedback. This is a great group.

Last edited:
Your husband might also want to sign up with Amazon as a merchant. He'll get an account number and can make links to the FAR/AIM, PHAK, AFH, and numerous other products his students will need. They'll get the benefit of dealing with Amazon for their stuff and he'll make a few bucks commission on the sales. This way he doesn't just tell students to go get this or that - he makes it easy for them by providing specific links for the purchases.

I guess you are right about the foggles. I don't know a pilot who doesn't own some sort of view-limiting device, so it didn't occur that you might not buy one.

You do know pilots that don't own one of these, you just weren't aware that we didn't. :D

There was one in the airplane that I rented to do my last flight review so that got used.

For the the next flight review, I don't know what I am going to do - Unless I get the turn coordinator fixed, there wouldn't be much point, eh?

I could try airspeed / altlimiter / GPS heading.:dunno:

Bob: I have never needed a pen. If someone requires something be in ink, they can provide a pen. Gatts jar is required around here. We don't dump our expensive fuel into the ground water.

If I may clarify:

I would use a pen at least for logbook entries.

Wrt Gatts/fuel sampler, I usually see those in the rental aircraft rather than something a pilot must provide.

Dan: Great suggestions in your list. Thanks. Love it. We totally forgot about sunglasses. Hubby has those clip-ons for his glasses, but I cannot tolerate any clip-on. My prescription glasses were a problem, too, so I wear a ball cap and squint. But, you are completely correct, the sunglasses belong on the list. Does the headlamp work for you? I have a clip-on light for my ball cap, but feel I look silly.

I have prescription sunglasses and love them, although I preferred the previous prescription (super lightweight frameless things).

I have at least 5 of the Wal-Mart cheapo Energizer headlamps laying around. I have one in my headset bag, a couple in the hangar, and the rest with the camping gear.

I've used them for really dark ramp preflights, to avoid stumbling around in a hangar filled with obstacles, to look down into the fuel tank to see how much is actually there.

I have prescription sunglasses and love them, although I preferred the previous prescription (super lightweight frameless things).

I have at least 5 of the Wal-Mart cheapo Energizer headlamps laying around. I have one in my headset bag, a couple in the hangar, and the rest with the camping gear.

I've used them for really dark ramp preflights, to avoid stumbling around in a hangar filled with obstacles, to look down into the fuel tank to see how much is actually there.
Yeah. My lenses tend to look like Coke bottle bottoms. You know, the old glass bottles. Anyway, 1/4 inch of dark glass is really tough to see through. I hate plastic lenses, but that is all you can get anymore. sigh. The only thing worse than being so old is the alternative.

I'm late to this thread but FWIW:

I took my discovery flight with a FBO-loaner headset. The ear gels were so dried out and non-functional that I could not hear the tower. I decided right then and there that if I was serious about this flying thing I needed an ANR. Maybe that is overkill and a good passive set would have been satisfactory, but I went to the Dave Clark ANR and have never regretted the decision. When I got the ANR the FBO gave me a surplus (read: couldn't sell it) Jepp bag which I still use as my flight bag. It contained a fuel sampler and a few other trinkets and I have had to use the fuel sampler exactly twice in 500 hours of flying - the rentals (almost) always have them.

I bought a simple kneeboard and still use it today. Yes it interferes with the yoke so I take it off on final.

I second and applaud the recommendation to get the medical early. Every CFI should have a conversation with the new student (regardless of age) to inquire about DUI and ADHD medicine issues.

-Skip

Two items I always needed:

Checkbook.
Pen.

I used the pen to fill out the checks. I "bought" the checkbook at the bank; the pen at a grocery store (no doubt there is an aviation-grade pen available at Sporty's for several times more cost; I'm afraid to check whether they really do sell such pens!)

Thanks for all the input. One thing this discussion points out is that pilots are all different.

Murphey: Great idea to get these items in stages. What would you start with?
If there's a pilot shop nearby, let the student rent/borrow a variety of headsets to see which they like best. If there's no option for that in the area, most of the name brands have a 30 day trial period. I will admit that for comfort, my original Dave Clarks are the best. I have 2 pair and they're now used by the pax. I have the Lightspeed Zulus. The DC are still more comfy (small head) but I prefer the ANR of the Zulus.

For the list - Right Now
1. look over the 8500-5 form (medical) and see what could be a problem then deal with it.
2. trial headsets until you find one you like.
3. a plotter and the cardboard E6B - no need to spend the bucks on the metal one.
4. Sunglasses - if clipon, make sure they are NOT polarized. I've had polarized forever but then, I don't have anything that's LCD in the airplane. LCD & polarized do not work. And recently discovered that polarized & the iPad do not work, either. Fortunately, I need to update the prescription so the new lenses will not be polarized.
5. Altho I have a couple of clipboards from the big box office store (there's small ones too that fit perfectly in the yoke of the cherokee) I did go for the metal ASA board. Fit's nicely on the leg, doesn't get in the way, and has all sorts of goodies on it.
6. A syllabus unless it's being provided. Oddly enough, the Jepp syllabus is great, I'm just not fond of the text book. Students don't understand that there's a fair amount of studying to do and a planned program is the best approach to learning. Do your homework before you come to the airport.
7. Forget the flight bag - I have a small Eagle Creek bag (part of my luggage) that is the perfect size for headset, charts, gadgets and the printed FAR/AIM. You can scribble in the printed version, put little stickies, etc.
8. One of the best headset bags is the padded/insulated lunch bag that is the same shape as the classic paper bag. Cheap, comes in colors, and is definitely a conversation piece. Plus, if left in the car by accident, it doesn't look like anything worth stealing.
9. Sectional and/or terminal, depending where you are. I took ground school with sims (part 141 at the college where I teach) before I ever got into the airplane. Understanding the sectional made it easier to look out the windown and make the connection in my head what I was seeing between the map & outside.

Down the Road once the student has decided they really want to learn to fly. This can be next week or months away. But why waste money only to find out you don't like flying.

1. Study books for the exam is very personal - not everyone learns the same way. My preference is Gleim, but again, that's a personal preference.
2. Ground school material - Altho I used to work for Jepp, I really don't like the textbooks - again, a personal preference. I tend to prefer a bit more theory than Jepp offers, and really like Kershner's Student Pilot book. It's paperback and cheaper than Jepp, too.
3. Flashlights, view-limiting device, all that other stuff.
4. Let the student decide what they want to buy vs. online - PTS, PHAK, and all that other stuff. Of course this is dependent entirely on the DE that will be used. Some expect/demand paper everything, others are fine that the reference material is on a tablet or laptop. Afterall, you're not going to be looking up info on the PHAK while flying - at least I hope not.

Murphey: I think that cooking anything while flying is far too distracting. I try to keep looking outside the plane most of the time and during that time, the eggs stick to the pan.
Alton Brown flies (owns a C206 and another aircraft) and has this great interview on 25 Zulu. Check out the Jan 8, 2009 episode at

http://www.goldseallive.com/archives.aspx

and you'll understand my comment about the eggs.

I got my medical before I started doing anything because I didn't want to start training, then be disqualified...

The only thing I bought as a pre-solo student pilot was a logbook from the FBO for about $11 bucks.

I didn't buy my own headset until about 20hrs. into it, and I got a damn good deal on it (3x David Clark + 1 Telex headset for $300 from an old guy who lost his medical. He was selling his C-182 for a really good price too, I wish I could have afforded it at the time).

I ended up buying a Jepp Private Pilot book off Ebay for something like $40 bucks but I didn't read it much. Bought a new FAR/AIM but didn't read that much either. I mostly used Jeppesen FliteSchool to prepare for the written test. I liked it, but the software was designed for Windows 3.1, reworked to be Windows 95 compatible, and it felt really dated trying to run it on Windows XP. It is flat out incompatible with Windows 7.

Oh, as a side note, I wear polarized sunglasses and the LCD screen on my HTC Evo 3D works just fine. I use Naviator on it in-flight. Garmin 296 works too. iPad does not work.... not sure what the story is with that one.

He can pass it along to the next guy after he takes his check ride and follows the GPS-derived purple line, ground speed, and time to destination for everywhere he goes.

Too tired to insert conniption fit here. ;)

Get a kneeboard. Even if it's just a $3 clipboard from stinkin' OfficeMax.

You're going to have to write stuff down. Unless you're getting in something that flies upside-down and you're writing stuff on your hands to keep the board from getting in the controls or hitting you in the head, some kind of hard flat surface will be needed.

I'd offer up my head, but I'm not available to go flying with him all the time. And it's not very flat. But it is hard. ;)

First thing I would get as a student pilot is my medical.

Then I would get a kneeboard followed by a good headset.

If you decide to get a headset borrow as many different types as you can so that you can decide which one works best for you.

WARNING: Do not ask this forum which is the best headset!
You will never get the answer that best serves you.

I loved my Sportys Electronic E6B for calculating my x-country trips and w/b.
I also spent many hours admiring Martha King on VHS (old media storage format prior to DVD).
My Gleim test prep was my bible and it went every where I went.

Last edited:
+1 on the headset but make sure it's something the student will stick with or thats a pricey investment. As far as study materials, that all depends on how he/she learns. Some are visual which DVDs or online schools like the cessna/king schools kit works pretty well. My secret personal fav is actually ASA's DVDs. If you're anything like me when it comes to books, I like to have those physically. Not in PDF format even though they're free online. They're not too bad at the book store either. One thing I loved getting when I was first learning was the Com1 Radio Sim. Now, granted, the technology needs to be updated but that's one of the top fears of new students. I enjoyed it a lot because I could practice sounding like a real pilot and it's a great intro to the terminology. If the student already has as school/instructor picked out, it might be just as easy to ask them what they use that way he/she doesn't have to buy two books or whatever they use.

+1 on the headset but make sure it's something the student will stick with or thats a pricey investment.

One thing to consider: If a student purchases a headset that ultimately isn't quite what he/she wants, the student later will have the option to (1) sell it to another student or (2) keep it and let passengers use it.

Last edited:
Back