student pilot, questions

U

Unregistered

hey guys,

I'm sorry I don't have an account but wanted to ask what the difference between the following V-speeds is:

VS Stalling Speed or minimum steady flight speed flaps retracted
VS0 Stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed in landing configuration
VS1 Stalling speed in clean configuration (flap 0°)

What is the difference between Vs and Vs1? aren't flaps retracted and flap 0 degrees the same?

Your definitions for those V-speeds are not quite accurate. Here's the official version of all three from the FAA's official definitions:
VS means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed at which the airplane is controllable.

VS0 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed in the
landing configuration.

VS1 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed obtained in a specific configuration.
So, VS is just a general abbreviation for stall speed (not specifically for flaps retracted), while VS0 and VS1 are for specific configurations as defined. Source is 14 CFR 1.1, which should be in your FAR/AIM book.

Thanks Ron. Those definitions were taken directly from the Tecnam 92 Eaglet pilot manual.

I check ourxe material when I am with my students for this very reason. The FARs get updates so what might be a right answer posted on a forum might be the wrong answer a year or two later when you have a question that may have been answered by a pervious FAR.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back