Student Pilot Question

U

Unregistered

So I have filled out the online MedXPress, but not yet made an appointment with an AME. I am a few weeks away from flying solo (About 8 hours into Part 141), so I still have some time. I've realized I may have filled out the online form incorrectly.

1) It asks for any history of depression. I am now 30-something, but I was treated for depression in high school, but I stopped taking medicine before I turned 18. I did not put this in MedXPress as it was as a child.

2) It asks for history of other conditions. I was treated for ADD as a minor with Adderal, but stopped around 18 years of age as it lowered my blood pressure. I did not put this in MedXPress as it was as a child.

3) I currently take Lisinopril-HCTZ 20-12.5 for high blood pressure, which has been within the norm for a few years now. I put this in online and noted that it was under control. Do I need to bring some sort of Dr's confirmation that it is indeed under control or will the AME just check my blood pressure?

4) I have an RX for Flexeril to use as needed for back pain, but I rarely take it. I assume I can't ever take it again, and I've begun treatment with a Chiropractor which is working great. I did not list this online, should I have since I no longer plan to take it?

5) I have an RX for Trazadone to use as a sleeping pill. I travel extensively for work, and on those 16 hour flights it works well. My worry here is that its technically a SSRI. I was given it for the off label use, but won't be taking it again as its obviously not allowed. I did not list this either since I no longer plan to take it. Should I have listed it since I have taken it?

6) I had a minor surgery when about 12. Do I need to list that?

7) I have marginal red-green color blindness but I can pass most tests if I take my time. Should I be seeing an eye dr first? Do I need to ask for a specific test?

So I guess my questions is, should I have listed some of these things. I don't want to be deceitful and conceal, but I was unsure about listing things as a minor, or listing drugs I no longer take.

answer all!

Who is this guy with the REALLY bad advice?

You need to talk to a AME who deals with hard to issue stuff, just like I mentioned in the other thread, Bruce seems to be the top pick around here.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

DO NOT talk to some townie local AME, often with these things they can cause more damage than good.

As far as your ADD issue, sorry to hear that your parents did that to you, from what I gather that will end up costing you some $$$ to fix in the eyes of the FAA

Who is this guy with the REALLY bad advice?

just a townie local AME ... advising applicant to answer all questions ... truthfully and to the best of his/her ability.

Last edited:
For a AME you got some crap advise. Yeah, be honest, but if it's a SI worthy medical I'd seek the advice and help of a Sr. AME who knows the ins and outs, has the contacts etc.

Understand that the FAA can see all your prescription codes. They don't view them necessarily unless there is an investigation- ATC foul-up ("deal"), bent metal or a call into the hotline. If you hide the ball, the first time anything on this list happens, they will see them and ultimately you will lose your PILOT certificate for lying to the FAA. Remember, how they got Martha Stewart (that danger to our democracy).

You need 60 days off the trazadone and a letter from the prescriber saying that you had gotten it in the past for travel, there is no underlying psych diagnosis; You need a letter saying that you are 60 days off flexeril (verboten med) and no longer use/need and are no longer Rx'd it.

Now the biggie: If you have ever been Rx'd with adderal the FAA waiver path considers that you have to prove you have insufficient ADD to interfere with airman duties. Remember, they can see the med. Attached is the waiver pathway. Its about $2,500 and it's best that you go to a HIMS trained neuropsychologist as the success rate is 50% higher for your $2,500. Note the need for a negative urine test. ADD if you have it, is lifelong and does not "go away". We pick up on it with intelligent adults whose processing speed is down- why's that? Because an intelligent adult has learned how to present the information to himself in a useful way, and there are extra "steps" in each cognition. The battery described is scored against decile matched aviators and were revised in May 2015.

Attachments

• Specs for NP Evals-ADD & ADHD-2013-01.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 142
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back