Student pilot/plane owner needs advice

Giannid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gianni
I'm a student pilot who has about 25 hours in mostly my plane and about 5 hours in a 152 when I started training last January. I partnered up on a beech sierra with a friend in the spring. I obviously have not flown it very much because of my work. I own a construction company and I am crazy busy in the good weather months. I live in Cleveland and the weather is not usually good to fly in. The instructor who I have been flying with has told me he is taking on another full time flying job. Kind of leaves me in a bad situation. He was working on a week and off a week. We were going to go out of town Thursday to train for a week and were going to it a few times until I was done. We were obviously going south for good weather. I would really like to get my ppl before april when my work gets busy or I'll probably have to wait till next winter. I'm looking at different options as I'm probably not going to be able to finish it locally in my plane. I have another instructor I can train with in my plane but we will never get the weather to get it done. Was thinking of going down to Florida or down south to finish my training in someone elses plane. What do you guys think I should do? I could always get checked out in my plane after I get my ppl. Kind of frustrated at this point and would really like to get it done. I have not soloed yet. Does anyone know anyone in the south who has a plane that could finish me? Looking for a good instructor. My schedule is pretty flexible since I'm not working much. I'm not looking for some rush and crush instruction, I just want to get it done so I can enjoy my plane.

You are in a difficult position. I too own my own construction company and this fact alone forced me to quit flying the first time. The more I worked, the more money I made for flying, the less time I had for flying. And so the circle goes.

I found myself with the feeling that I no longer had the time in the cockpit to consider myself proficient enough for my personal standards (pay no attention to what the govt. considers proficient. Its not their kids your flying around)

There are two things I've learned while my company grew,

A; The customer is NOT always right

and

B; There are some questions and problems that simply can not be solved.

If I were you, I'd find a CFI in Cleveland and do your flying and Flight Instruction in the winter months while your less busy with the idea that every fall your going to go back for recurrent training because you haven't kept up proficiency during the summer months.

Call Bobby 910-818-2820.

He runs a flight school locally (KFAY) here that specializes in fast track PPC courses...

Tell him Kelvin sent you.

I'm a student pilot who has about 25 hours in mostly my plane and about 5 hours in a 152 when I started training last January. I partnered up on a beech sierra with a friend in the spring. I obviously have not flown it very much because of my work. I own a construction company and I am crazy busy in the good weather months. I live in Cleveland and the weather is not usually good to fly in. The instructor who I have been flying with has told me he is taking on another full time flying job. Kind of leaves me in a bad situation. He was working on a week and off a week. We were going to go out of town Thursday to train for a week and were going to it a few times until I was done. We were obviously going south for good weather. I would really like to get my ppl before april when my work gets busy or I'll probably have to wait till next winter. I'm looking at different options as I'm probably not going to be able to finish it locally in my plane. I have another instructor I can train with in my plane but we will never get the weather to get it done. Was thinking of going down to Florida or down south to finish my training in someone elses plane. What do you guys think I should do? I could always get checked out in my plane after I get my ppl. Kind of frustrated at this point and would really like to get it done. I have not soloed yet. Does anyone know anyone in the south who has a plane that could finish me? Looking for a good instructor. My schedule is pretty flexible since I'm not working much. I'm not looking for some rush and crush instruction, I just want to get it done so I can enjoy my plane.

Three things are always in play when you fly for your self.

Available personal time
Available personal finances
Available flyable weather

Find a way to manage those and you'll fly any time you want. Otherwise, there's always a reason you won't, no matter how much you want to. It's good to set goals, but not so much if you stress out over trying to reach them.

Another slightly sideways thought is this - hire a CFI to ride/give dual with you in your plane to the place you want to go in the South for training... send him/her home commercially and use your plane w/ the CFI in the South ... it might be less than renting?? I dunno sounds a little lame that I re-read this but maybe it would work

Another slightly sideways thought is this - hire a CFI to ride/give dual with you in your plane to the place you want to go in the South for training... send him/her home commercially and use your plane w/ the CFI in the South ... it might be less than renting?? I dunno sounds a little lame that I re-read this but maybe it would work

I was thinking 'zactly the same thing...

Or a more available local guy.

Or, consider the fact that it ain't a race. Fly when you can and enjoy the flying in spite of the extra weight in the right seat. Get done when you get done.

How has your first 25 hours of flight time worked? By that, I mean, was that flying a few hours a week? What was your training schedule like up until now?

What is the weather typically like where you are from? Low clouds? heavy winds? lots of rain?

How has your first 25 hours of flight time worked? By that, I mean, was that flying a few hours a week? What was your training schedule like up until now?

What is the weather typically like where you are from? Low clouds? heavy winds? lots of rain?

Cleveland = lake effect snow, clouds.

And every so often, a perfect day.

I was thinking 'zactly the same thing...

Or a more available local guy.

Or, consider the fact that it ain't a race. Fly when you can and enjoy the flying in spite of the extra weight in the right seat. Get done when you get done.
My initial thought was the same. One way commercial for the pilot's return shouldn't be a wallet buster. You'll be flying in your plane. Now, of course, you're subject to the vagaries of your plane's mechanical worthiness, but if it comes down to that you would have the same issue back home. Trick is going to be finding someone who has an intensive program ready to go where they can train you in your plane. I don't know if the intensive programs do that or if they require you to use their plane.

Or, if you have the $, you could have a CFI plus a pilot fly up to get you, then fly back south in your own plane. A lot of CFI's would jump at the chance. I am in the Memphis area and could put you in touch with a good local flight school if interested.

Somorris, get me what you have. I'm looking for someone. The weather in Memphis is not the best, but has to be better than Cleveland. Looking for a good CFI that is willing to help me and make a dollar. Most of my training has been in the spring and fall. Did a lot of stalls, manuevers, and steep/shallow turns. Guess just the regular stuff. Really need practice in the landings. CFI says it will come in time. Flew this week but it was a month before that. Weahter has been terrible.

Last edited:
Gianni - I sent your original post to a friend who owns a flight school in Georgetown Texas... She might be able to help you and their weather isn't bad. I'll let you know when I hear back from her... if you think you might be willing to go all the way to central Tx.

Jeanie, looking for options. Have to do what it takes.

Gianni: Try Downtown Aviation at Dewitt Spain airport in Memphis. Number is 901.353.9151.

I am currently a student in Texas and the only thing you have to be careful about during the winter is the wind. It changes dramatically and it can screw up the best laid plans. We will have strong cross winds for the next four days and needless to say I will not be soloing in it. If you decide to train down here find an airport with north/south and east/west runways. Then you should be able to finish up very quickly. I believe KGTU in GeorgeTown Tx would be once such airport. I hope everything works out for you. I am almost to the end of my training and the weather has slowed me up...

I am currently a student in Texas and the only thing you have to be careful about during the winter is the wind. It changes dramatically and it can screw up the best laid plans. We will have strong cross winds for the next four days and needless to say I will not be soloing in it. If you decide to train down here find an airport with north/south and east/west runways. Then you should be able to finish up very quickly. I believe KGTU in GeorgeTown Tx would be once such airport. I hope everything works out for you. I am almost to the end of my training and the weather has slowed me up...
What, your instructor isn't training you to handle those crosswinds? I've been going out with students the last five days and they are learning well how to deal with 'em.

Ryan

Interesting problem.

If it was me, I would find a way to train locally in my own aircraft.

Keep in mind even after you get the certificate, you will want to find the time to stay current and to take some trips.

Back