Student Pilot Looking for First Plane

lionclaw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
I'm currently finishing up my last semester of college in southern california. I'll be moving to Ohio in June to start my first assignment with the air force at WPAFB. For the last few weeks I've been working on my pilot's license with AFI at KFUL. I've currently got 7.5hrs and ~25 landings in their c152.

My plan is to purchase an aircraft and use it to finish getting my license in Ohio, then use the plane for trips from Dayton to Stambaugh(Michigan) or Eagle River(Wisconsin).

I'm looking to spend up to $25k. I'd like to be able to punch through the clouds on overcast days, so I believe I'd need a plane with an IFR certification, and I'd need to get an instrument rating? I've been looking at IFR certified c152s, but I'm hoping to get some more input on other options.

Any answers, comments, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm currently finishing up my last semester of college in southern california. I'll be moving to Ohio in June to start my first assignment with the air force at WPAFB. For the last few weeks I've been working on my pilot's license with AFI at KFUL. I've currently got 7.5hrs and ~25 landings in their c152.

My plan is to purchase an aircraft and use it to finish getting my license in Ohio, then use the plane for trips from Dayton to Stambaugh(Michigan) or Eagle River(Wisconsin).

I'm looking to spend up to $25k. I'd like to be able to punch through the clouds on overcast days, so I believe I'd need a plane with an IFR certification, and I'd need to get an instrument rating? I've been looking at IFR certified c152s, but I'm hoping to get some more input on other options.

Any answers, comments, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Personally, I love the AA1 series of planes. Usually found for <25K

For that money, you're pretty much looking at a 2-seat trainer type in the 100-118 HP class, probably without good IFR equipment, and that's a pretty limited aircraft, especially when you plan to do significant cross-country flying. I'd suggest checking out what's on offer at the Aero Club at WPAFB, and using that to finish your training. Once you get more experience (and a bit more capital), you'll be in a better position to decide what would best suit you, and you may find that just using the club planes is the best solution (each flight you can choose whatever plane best suits the day's mission).

Thanks for the quick responses.

I've noticed the grumman 2 seaters, and they appear to be a bargain.

As far as renting aircraft goes, I'd be open to that. The biggest problem I think I'd run into however is I might go up north for a week or two at a time, as leave allows. I don't think the flight club would let me hang on to an aircraft for up to 2 weeks, and only rack up 8-10 hours, would they?

If I were to buy a basic VFR 150/152, is there any possibility of upgrading it to IFR? I know I would need pitot heat. Would any of the panel mount gps units available make the aircraft meet IFR requirements? Or would I have to get a glideslope?

I'm basically clueless on this one...

I guess I could live with VFR for a while, building hours while saving my pennies for something really nice.

I've noticed the grumman 2 seaters, and they appear to be a bargain.
Yes, they can be. You get a good bit more speed than a 150/152, although you pay for it by not being able to use short grass strips comfortably. See http://www.aya.org for more on the world of Grummans.

As far as renting aircraft goes, I'd be open to that. The biggest problem I think I'd run into however is I might go up north for a week or two at a time, as leave allows. I don't think the flight club would let me hang on to an aircraft for up to 2 weeks, and only rack up 8-10 hours, would they?
Probably not -- most clubs have a 2-3 hour per day minimum on extended trips and don't allow more than a few days at a time at any price on their most popular planes (mainly the primary and instrument trainers).

If I were to buy a basic VFR 150/152, is there any possibility of upgrading it to IFR?
Yes, but you'd never see an increase in value as large as the amount you'd pay for the additional avionics. Figure on recovering half or less of what you put it. If you are going to keep the plane a long time, that might not matter to you, but if you're thinking of upgrading it to a 4-seater in anything less than 3-5 years, you'd be taking a bit of a bath on the life cycle cost.

I know I would need pitot heat.
Pitot heat is not legally required for IFR flight, but in your part of the world (Ohio Valley and Michigan), you'd be foolish to fly in IMC any time from about October to April without it.

Would any of the panel mount gps units available make the aircraft meet IFR requirements? Or would I have to get a glideslope?
It would be unwise to plan to fly IFR routinely without a glide slope unit to allow full ILS's, and it is impossible to take your instrument rating practical test without it. Of course, the Garmin 430/480/530 panel mount units include GS along with comm, VOR nav, and IFR/approach GPS. If your 2-seater comes with the typical single VOR nav/VHF comm, the addition of a 430 would provide all the additional comm/nav capability you need for routine IFR flying, and it would make the plane rather more salable (although not worth as much more as the cost of the 430) come trade-up time.

I guess I could live with VFR for a while, building hours while saving my pennies for something really nice.
That might be a good idea.

Stambaugh? Where do you head in the UP/No WI? I run an airstrip due north of Iron River. But I wouldn't take an AA1 in there just yet.

Wow, lots of good info Ron. Thanks! If I bought a 152 without pitot heat, do you think I (or an a&p) could replace the pitot tube with a heated unit? The 430/480/530 looks the way to go. It'd be nice to be able to replace all of the old avionics with one nice little unit.

Ed, my family owns property in Alvin/Nelma, just off county A a few miles west of hwy 55. My uncle runs a small tavern and some cottages "Elvoy Resort" nearby as well. I love that area, and I really can't wait to fly out there.

Scott, I'll be going there for an assignment as a developmental engineer(62E1C). I'm not exactly sure what unit I'll be assigned to. I've been given some assignment codes which are just giberish letters and numbers at this point.

Scott, I'll be going there for an assignment as a developmental engineer(62E1C). I'm not exactly sure what unit I'll be assigned to. I've been given some assignment codes which are just giberish letters and numbers at this point.
Can't remember what assignment code I had and they changed them anyway. But I was a EE at AFWL in New Mexico working in the directed energy group. Have fun and if you get a chance apply for AFIT right away and start the process it is a great school and worth the extra in service time to attend.

Wow, lots of good info Ron. Thanks! If I bought a 152 without pitot heat, do you think I (or an a&p) could replace the pitot tube with a heated unit?
Yes -- probably on the order of $500 for parts and labor.

The 430/480/530 looks the way to go. It'd be nice to be able to replace all of the old avionics with one nice little unit.
All? My personal standard is not to launch into IMC without at least two comms and two navs. Therefore, if I had a plane with a single nav/comm, and wanted to fly it IFR, I'd supplement it with a 430, not replace it.

Back