Student Pilot Lands on CA Highway

I'm thinking the instructor relied on the students preflight which evidently didn't include checking fuel on board...

Glad everybody ok...

I'm thinking the instructor relied on the students preflight which evidently didn't include checking fuel on board...

Glad everybody ok...

Or ever looking at the fuel gauge, it would seem. Even if the exhaustion were due to a leak, a glance at the gauges should have made that obvious.

Good thing they were able to land Southbound. The traffic on the other side would have been pretty heavy that late in the afternoon.

Engines do tend to fail when you try and run them on air. Lucky they didn't hurt anyone while dealing with their self-made emergency.

He may have let the student land it.

We had a partial engine failure during my multi engine training, and the instructor didn't take over. I thank him for that, as it was good experience.

Gee I wonder why like the instructor like didn't get any airtime in that like broadcast.

Also, is it better to land on a highway or a field nearby? That looks like a pretty busy road so I think I would have a hard time trusting the drivers down below to get out of the way.

Glad they are OK......and that student is pretty cute!

Gee I wonder why like the instructor like didn't get any airtime in that like broadcast.

Also, is it better to land on a highway or a field nearby? That looks like a pretty busy road so I think I would have a hard time trusting the drivers down below to get out of the way.

If I were the instructor, I'd gladly let the student take the press.

Probably because he wasn't like cute and she like is.

Also, anything he says on camera puts him one step closer to like unemployment.

This is a fake story. Everyone knows a plane can't land with an engine failure and no chute? Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Probably because he wasn't like cute and she like is.
Haha yes, I got that part! :rofl:

Also, anything he says on camera puts him one step closer to like unemployment.

But I did not think about that one! That might have been a smart move but if I were to guess, I'd say the news channel just wanted to bask in the piece of eye candy they lucked out on.

If I were the instructor, I'd gladly let the student take the press.

So what about the choice of makeshift runway? If you didn't have a student with you, would you have taken the road or an empty field?

Good looking student, glad there wasn't any injuries. The student pilot seemed to be very cool and relaxed during the interview. Now who takes the fall for running out of fuel ?

You have MUCH higher standards than I do.

Agreed...

She probably has been stuck more times then 100 people trying to catch a porcupine....

And.......
My money is on the chance there is fuel in the plane and it "might " have been a publicity stunt...... They were in California after all...:rolleyes:;)

Haha yes, I got that part! :rofl:

But I did not think about that one! That might have been a smart move but if I were to guess, I'd say the news channel just wanted to bask in the piece of eye candy they lucked out on.

Since he already announced the zero fuel reading on frequency, the cat's out of the bag.

Agreed...

She probably has been stuck more times then 100 people trying to catch a porcupine....

And.......
My money is on the chance there is fuel in the plane and it "might " have been a publicity stunt...... They were in California after all...:rolleyes:;)

Hey, I'm from california too...look at me, LOOK AT ME....we clearly crave attention :rolleyes2:

Back