Student Pilot Joyride turns deadly

You are not reading me correctly ... In General and in more likelihood, a 40 year old would be a little bit more risk adverse and more likely to make more mature decisions than a 17 yr old. I would agree that a 17 yr old is more likely to pick up and develop natural drive and flying skills faster/better.

Remember, us older folks have been 17 once and know the difference b/t 17 and 40 ;) A 17 yr old only know what a 17 yr old knows, for the most part ... unless you are 17 going on 35 :goofy:
Unfortunately, if one looks at the Annals of the NTSB it does not appear that 17 year olds have the monopoly on performing stupid pilot tricks unsuccessfully. In fact, it seems to me that some of us older folks demonstrate that inability more often than do our younger colleagues.

Or maybe it could be there are much larger population of > 17 in the pilot population? Just a guess ... what do I know, I am just a 41 yr old deciding to learn to fly :dunno:

Unfortunately, if one looks at the Annals of the NTSB it does not appear that 17 year olds have the monopoly on performing stupid pilot tricks unsuccessfully. In fact, it seems to me that some of us older folks demonstrate that inability more often than do our younger colleagues.

Or maybe it could be there are much larger population of > 17 in the pilot population? Just a guess ... what do I know, I am just a 41 yr old deciding to learn to fly :dunno:
No doubt there is, but the point is there are a lot of people who started flying at 17 who are still flying now without killing themselves, as there are a lot of people who started when they were 40 who are still flying without killing themselves. We often jump to conclusions as to why the pilot did what they did to kill themselves, and sometimes I think we generalize too much.

Back