Student Pilot Certificate

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
When is the earliest one can apply for the student pilot certificate? I understand you need it prior to your solo.

Apply early, takes weeks to get the silly piece of plastic. why the FAA changed from the AME issuance to another layer of bureaucracy.....oh wait, that's the answer, isn't it?

Have you asked your CFI when and how to apply? This is a question he/she should know, and should have already discussed it with you.

Within 90 days of your 14th Birthday.

Apply early, takes weeks to get the silly piece of plastic. why the FAA changed from the AME issuance to another layer of bureaucracy.....oh wait, that's the answer, isn't it?

That was the TSA's doing. They wanted to 'vet' student pilots.

Then I guess we need DVEs (Designated Veterinary Examiners).

I am taking my written on January 4th. I start actual flight training on January 22nd.

You've got your answer... now for thread drift.

With the advent of BasicMed, is there any reason a new student should go Sport Pilot instead of PPL? Sure the minimum training time is slightly less, but other than that?

[No, I didn't search this recently, yes it has been discussed previously, maybe some new thoughts are out there]

With the advent of BasicMed, is there any reason a new student should go Sport Pilot instead of PPL? Sure the minimum training time is slightly less, but other than that?

[No, I didn't search this recently, yes it has been discussed previously, maybe some new thoughts are out there]

I'll admit I haven't looked at BasicMed at all...but don't you need a 3rd class first and then subsequent medicals can be BasicMed? Or can you start out under BasicMed?

Yes, Regular 3rd class is needed within the prior 10 years before you can proceed to Basic Med.

@Ravioli ... PPL provides additional privileges over SP. Two examples is PPL permits night flight and can fly 4 and more seat aircraft where SP is limited to day flight only and just 2 seat aircraft. For more info, see the AOPA page QUICK COMPARISON OF PILOT CERTIFICATES

Last edited:
Get your Student Pilot Certificate as soon as possible. The FAA web site will provide all the information you need, but you still have to have a CFI endorse it or just go to the local FSDO. It does not expire; when the AME used to issue it, it did. Sport Pilot may seem like a cheaper, faster, easier solution, but that is misleading. Unless you are truly exceptional, don't expect to complete the Sport Pilot requirements in 25 hours. You will encounter problems with weather and plane availability as a minimum. If you're young and healthy with excellent hearing and eyesight (not just good enough for a driver's license) I think you'll find the PPL far more practical and rewarding.

Yea, if someone had doubt that they could pass the initial 3rd Class, then sport might be their only option. Other than that I don't think there is much other benefit. I wouldn't think the (possible) cost savings would be a good enough reason. Same for training time. As in, I don't think the test are any easier, flight hour requirements are less, but it still takes what it takes for you to 'get it' and the difference isn't that significant.

Thank you for all your replies. The restrictions as a Sport Pilot are 3 statue mile visibility, one passenger, daylight flying, 1320 lbs limit, and only VFR.

This certification suits me fine and for my needs. I will apply for my student certification as soon as possible.

Again, thank you everyone.

Thank you for all your replies. The restrictions as a Sport Pilot are 3 statue mile visibility, one passenger, daylight flying, 1320 lbs limit, and only VFR.

This certification suits me fine and for my needs. I will apply for my student certification as soon as possible.

If you can medically qualify for PPL, go for that.

Simpler (and less expensive) for the long run to be granted the higher level of privileges now. Especially if you start with Sport Pilot and then toward the end, decide to move up to Private Pilot

I hear that, and I wouldn't try to talk you out of it, but if you don't have any medical worries and think you might want to 'upgrade' at some point later, you might actually save $ by doing private initially. Furthermore, I'm just not that into taking written tests and check rides and wouldn't want to double up on that.

Thank you for your further guidance and suggestions. Since joining this forum, I have gained much aviation knowledge. Books and YouTube videos are great, but nothing beats tapping into a pilots brain.

Get your Student Pilot Certificate as soon as possible. The FAA web site will provide all the information you need, but you still have to have a CFI endorse it or just go to the local FSDO. It does not expire; when the AME used to issue it, it did. Sport Pilot may seem like a cheaper, faster, easier solution, but that is misleading. Unless you are truly exceptional, don't expect to complete the Sport Pilot requirements in 25 hours. You will encounter problems with weather and plane availability as a minimum. If you're young and healthy with excellent hearing and eyesight (not just good enough for a driver's license) I think you'll find the PPL far more practical and rewarding.

Most private pilots take considerably more than the minimum 40 hours as well.

Keep in mind our advice to make 200% sure you can pass the medical and be issued in office before going to the AME's office.

Read the 8500-8 form, especially question 18 and the "Have you EVER IN YOUR LIFE..." phrase. If you say yes to any of these, and yes to the DUI or other LEO encounters question, or have taken SSRI meds in the past, then seek appropriate counsel on how to proceed before doing a live exam with the AME.

If you can medically qualify for PPL, go for that.

I think that sums it up.

And I'm also starting to think that the "new normal" is going to be Third, Basic, and then Sport.

Keep 'em flying! (Not just the planes, but the pilots)

I think that sums it up.

And I'm also starting to think that the "new normal" is going to be Third, Basic, and then Sport.

Keep 'em flying! (Not just the planes, but the pilots)
Yup.... Get the third ... then you're covered for Recreational and Sport.

The earliest you can apply for your student pilot certificate is now. It is very difficult to apply prior to now, as that would require travel at a speed greater than 3 x 10^8 m/s.

Note that now is also the latest you can apply as, whenever that is, then will have become now.

So apply now. Or later, which will also be now when the time comes.

Back