Student pilot certificate vs. 3rd Class Medical

PPL_student

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PPL_student
I am a student who did most training 4 years ago and getting ready for my checkride on Tuesday.

While my instructor was looking over my student pilot certificate, he noticed it's actually a 3rd class medical. Since I have only trained a month with him, he never noticed. Now I've lost my student pilot certificate and don't have my original C172 endorsement.

My instructor thinks I may need to go to the FSDO to get the student medical certificate? Is that where I go? I cant go back to the DME, since the rules changed April 1st? ? ?

Do I need to go to the FSDO? Back to the DME? I don't have endorsements for the solo flight and I check tuesday !?!?! I'm really worried this isn't going to happen since I don't have the required stuff.

Please advise. My instructor is good, but not up to speed on most things (new CFI).

Thanks

Here ya go

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response17/

You should submit AC Form 8060-56 (PDF) to:

FAA
Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM-331
ATTN: Duplicate Desk
PO Box 26200
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125

You must include a check or money order for $2.00 made payable to the FAA. The Aerospace Medical Certification Division can fax you a record of your certificate that is valid for no more than 60 days, which should be enough time to receive your replacement certificate. To receive this fax and order a duplicate certificate, call(405) 954-4821 and select option 3 to reach the duplicate certificate desk.

As for your initial solo endorsements on the back, that's something between you and your new CFI, once he's happy with your abilities he can endorse you, no biggie.

FYI, that link took me about 5 seconds to find on google, how are you getting ready for a checkride right away, yet you don't have a student pilot cert? You're not going from not flying in 4 years straight to a checkride are you? I certainly hope you haven't been doing any solo work without your medical/pilots cert!

I'm not expert on this but my understanding is you go to the fsdo office and they will give you one.
No longer true. You have to file via IARCA and wait for Joklahoma city to let it age past Homeland Security.

Thanks for the help... The second link James331 provided doesn't apply. I didn't lose it and I don't need a duplicate - the DME did the paperwork wrong.

I was hoping to avoid IACRA, since I had done the flight physical, just got the wrong paperwork. I've called my FSDO, but nobody really knows what I'm talking about. Looks like I'll wait 3 weeks.

Flyingron- I believe you are correct. The local FSDO has no control over the student certificates now, even if you did it before the April 1 deadline. Really a bad timing of events for me and some bad luck.

I was hoping to avoid IACRA, since I had done the flight physical, just got the wrong paperwork. I've called my FSDO, but nobody really knows what I'm talking about. Looks like I'll wait 3 weeks.
Lol. The government doesn't even know their own policy on new student pilot certificates.

You say you're looking for your original Student Pilot Certificate, yet you also mention a "student medical certificate." Do you mean a combined 3rd class medical certificate/student pilot certificate? If so, you never got the combined version or it would be in your possession now, right? So, you had two separate certificates originally? Your student pilot certificate does not expire, so if you had it, and it was properly endorsed for solo flight 4 years ago, then you did indeed lose it, and therefore the link above would be appropriate. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're trying to tell us. Do you know your original SP certificate number?

In your first post you say, "Now I've lost my student pilot certificate and don't have my original C172 endorsement." Then your next post, post #5, shows you saying "I didn't lose it and I don't need a duplicate - the DME did the paperwork wrong." So, what's your real story? You're a little late for April 1st, kid. Nice try.

If his student pilot certificate was issued before April 1, it very definitely DOES expire. It has the same expiry period as a third class medical, even if was issued seperately from that.

Yet another troll.... They love getting you guys going...

Here ya go

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response17/

As for your initial solo endorsements on the back, that's something between you and your new CFI, once he's happy with your abilities he can endorse you, no biggie.

FYI, that link took me about 5 seconds to find on google, how are you getting ready for a checkride right away, yet you don't have a student pilot cert? You're not going from not flying in 4 years straight to a checkride are you? I certainly hope you haven't been doing any solo work without your medical/pilots cert!

Unitl April 1, the medical was the student certificate.

Unitl April 1, the medical was the student certificate.
Not necessarily, but it usually was. If you only wanted to start with balloons or gliders you need a student pilot certificate but not a medical.

If his student pilot certificate was issued before April 1, it very definitely DOES expire. It has the same expiry period as a third class medical, even if was issued seperately from that.

Correct. I should have said, "...student pilot certificate does not expire until the end of the 60th month after issuance, so if you had it..." Since he had it 4 yrs ago I presumed that he was under 40, as he made no mention of needing a new 3rd class medical.

Back