Student Pilot--BasicMed

FlyinAroundNYC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Question.....I have a 3rd class medical and a student pilot license. Due to weather, I was not able to finish my training. My medical is about to expire. Will I be eligible for the new BasicMed to receive a 3rd class medical and finish my training?
It seems I qualify, but the wording always states "pilot". I figure since I have a student license and have got a regular 3rd class medical, I should be considered a 'Pilot' and be good for BasicMed.

Chris

From page 4-1 of the 68-1 Advisory Circular:
4.1 Applicability. The BasicMed privileges apply to persons exercising student, recreational, and private pilot privileges.

Outstanding!! Thanks...I have 2 weeks off at the end of May, hopefully I can get it wrapped up by then.
Do you have one of the older combined medical and student pilot certificates, or the newer separate student pilot certificate. If they're combined, you may need to apply for a new student pilot certificate.

Outstanding!! Thanks...I have 2 weeks off at the end of May, hopefully I can get it wrapped up by then.

That presumes the BasicMed regs will be released on time and that you'll find a physician to participate. Just sayin'.

BTW, BasicMed is not a 3rd class medical.

That presumes the BasicMed regs will be released on time and that you'll find a physician to participate. Just sayin'.

BasicMed goes into effect May 1st.

Only if the OMB approves and releases the regs. My RFS told me a few days ago that there's some concern about whether that will happen by May 1st.

Do you have one of the older combined medical and student pilot certificates, or the newer separate student pilot certificate. If they're combined, you may need to apply for a new student pilot certificate.
Yes..mine is combined. So now the question is does my student pilot license expire along with my medical?

Yes..mine is combined. So now the question is does my student pilot license expire along with my medical?
I think so. You'll probably need to create an IACRA account and apply for the stand-alone student certificate.

I understand how BasicMed is not a 3rd class medical. There are different restrictions on both. Restrictions on BasicMed are rather reasonable..it's a good deal for an older guy like me..seeing a doc every 4 years instead of two...etc. From what I read this thing is still on track to be released on time....my GP is also a pilot so I'm hopeful he will participate. I hear doctors may be reluctant for insurance reasons. At least I can still practice with a flight instructor.

He's referring to the Office of Management and Budget. The FAA has created a draft of the BasicMed exam checklist that needs to be signed by a doctor, but that form needs to be approved by OBM before it's official. If for some reason it's not approved before May 1st, then there is no way to legally comply with BasicMed even though it is technically in effect. Here is a quote from the FAA BasicMed FAQ:
Q: I showed my physician the draft checklist for the comprehensive medical examination from Advisory Circular 68-1 and she is willing to sign it. May I have my physician complete the comprehensive medical examination prior to the effective date of BasicMed?
A: The physician may not conduct a comprehensive medical examination for BasicMed until the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC) is approved by the Office of Management and Budget. The version of the CMEC in AC 68-1 is a draft unapproved version, but the AC will be revised once the approved version is available. The CMEC will likely be approved by OMB before the BasicMed effective date (May 1, 2017), and the FAA will make an announcement when the form is approved and available. After that point, you may accomplish the BasicMed comprehensive medical examination.

Back