Student Pilot and New to POA

EricVKX

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
EricVKX
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say I've been reading over the forums off and on the last few weeks.

I've started my PPL training a couple months back at KVKX(Potomac Airfield) in Maryland, right outside of DC and flying PA-28-140's.

I have 30 hours now and I've done my two supervised solo's and starting navigation training on my next lesson and then on to cross countries. I'm also doing ground school at the airfield -GLEIM based and were about to start rules/regulations. In the mean time, are there any good only training tools for VOR/ADF training/understanding? Looking to get a general understanding for a headstart of the next lesson.

Welcome to the board! Gleim is a great program, it prepared me well for the Private written.

Try this for VOR Navigation.

There are some FAA downloads available also, check their site. You can sign up for a free student membership at AOPA too. Welcome.

30hrs in a couple months?
AWESOME brother..
and welcome.

IMO the vor/nav/adf stuff is the hardest thing for a student pilot to initially grasp. its normal, but like anything esle.. you just gotta practice and study and it becomes second nature.
The internet is your free beautiful friend.. there is probably hundreds of vids of airplane navigation (youtube).. just search it.

good luck.

Welcome. Sounds like you're enjoying the experience.

30hrs in a couple months?
AWESOME brother..
and welcome.

IMO the vor/nav/adf stuff is the hardest thing for a student pilot to initially grasp. its normal, but like anything esle.. you just gotta practice and study and it becomes second nature.
The internet is your free beautiful friend.. there is probably hundreds of vids of airplane navigation (youtube).. just search it.

good luck.
Yah started around thanksgiving, been going 2-3 times a week and having a blast.

Thanks guys, youtube video is making sense but wanted to try something hands on. The CFI gave me an app for the Garmin430 awhile ago that let me learn it, was trying to find a similiar simulator for the other nav devices.

awesome..
would you happen to have that apps name?
for the 430..

Glad you're enjoying the experience so far!

As for the VOR stuff, I easily confused myself in the beginning with how questions and text was written out but it made sense once I was able to put it to practical use in the plane. I eventually learned to think of it this way: first, always set the OBS to the heading that you want to go. Then it'll show you where you need to put the plane to track straight TO the VOR on that heading. As you cross the VOR and want to change your heading, turn the knob to your new desired heading. It'll now show you where to put the plane to track straight FROM the VOR on that heading. It's that simple.

Good luck!

Welcome from the approach end of runway 6! I presume you're flying with HJ Aviation?

For the private pilot level, VOR and NDB work is pretty easy. There's are some online flash simulators out there if you google it.

Microsoft FlightSim is GREAT practice for VOR navigation! Good luck in your training.

Welcome to the forum. I used gliem for all my ratings up to the ATP.

Welcome from the approach end of runway 6! I presume you're flying with HJ Aviation?

For the private pilot level, VOR and NDB work is pretty easy. There's are some online flash simulators out there if you google it.
Yep flying with HJ - found a couple vor sims now and get the basics, if weather works out holds I'll be out tomorrow.

Back