Student 'pax'

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
The way I figure the regs is if I want to fly with a student pilot sitting in the left seat, as a certificated pilot I will have to be pic (responsible for flight plus insurance).

I have a friend who is learning to fly and we want to go up in his plane is why I ask.

You also need to check what his insurance says. You might need to be a named pilot on his policy.

Let'sgoflying! said:
The way I figure the regs is if I want to fly with a student pilot sitting in the left seat, as a certificated pilot I will have to be pic (responsible for flight plus insurance).

I have a friend who is learning to fly and we want to go up in his plane is why I ask.
The sight pictures you are used to are very different from the right seat. Also finding things like the flaps and throttle will no longer be instinctive for you. You really should go up with a CFI in the left seat for some right side training before you accept the responsibility of PIC from the right seat.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
The sight pictures you are used to are very different from the right seat. Also finding things like the flaps and throttle will no longer be instinctive for you. You really should go up with a CFI in the left seat for some right side training before you accept the responsibility of PIC from the right seat.

-Skip

Just go up with a competant pilot in the left seat that can take over. It is not really that dramitic of a change. The biggest problem I have had was doing holds from the right seat with foggles on. I got a little dizzy.

Skip Miller said:

-Skip

There's also the whole can o' fishbait regarding being PIC while a student is flying. If for instance you let him land the plane and metal ends up getting bent, you will be held responsible by the FAA and the insurer. And not being trained as a CFI you aren't likely to know when and how to take over and salvage a serious mistake by the student. Same thing goes for airspace violations etc. although I think that's probably easier to monitor as long as you take your PIC responsibilities seriously.

MSmith said:
You also need to check what his insurance says. You might need to be a named pilot on his policy.

Or meet the open insurance requirements.

lancefisher said:
metal ends up getting bent, you will be held responsible by the FAA and the insurer.

thats pretty much what I figured, I think we will just fly my plane.
Thanks

Back