Student Keeps Getting Motion Sickness

Defer to Dr Bruce above for advice. I can only offer two maybe helpful things. I love roller coasters, never get sick on them, and never had any trouble flying except for 2 instances in training. One was a bunch of stalls in a row, in a cub. No idea why, but just felt funny, like my tummy was numb, so I said "hey can we take a break for a while, I feel funny", and we did and I was good. Second I was practicing turns about a point, solo, for like a hour. No kidding, I wasn't great at it, so I'm orbiting around like I'm on a string. Anyway, same thing, I felt a little weird so I just flew straight for a while. Rambling point being it may just be a thing about particular maneuvers or duration or repetition and it'll get better.

Second story is from a history channel show, maybe 20 years ago, about WW2 fighter pilots. One of fellows, as modest as anyone could possibly be, said that the first time he flew the P-51 he threw up all over the inside, and felt like a complete jerk. He said crew chief just said "I've seen worse" and it wasn't a big deal. The other thing I remember him saying was that he loved the airplane, but really didn't like strafing airfields, with all the AA coming at him. Yeah, I kinda bet. Hell of a guy.

So with the ww2 guy, your student is in good company.

Fun Fact:
Bob Hoover taught himself aerobatics to get over his problem with airsickness.

Note: I an not suggesting someone should attempt self taught aerobatics - yes Bob Hoover got away with it (he did peal the fabric off the top of a wing once), but neither you or I are Bob Hoover.

This student pilot only has 12hrs under his belt. He very well MAY be the next Hoover. Can you imagine the fame of being the instructor who discovered him?

Send him up to do some solo aerobatics. He may cure himself and become the next great thing. Or he may not. Either way, though, problem is probably a non-issue after that.

* The above was written completely in jest and was in no means intended to be interpreted as professional advice.
** I was going to address the above sentence to those w/o a sense of humor. Then I remembered, they are the least likely to recognize they have no sense of humor.

I'm just thinking out loud here.... I think you said earlier that he's fine just doing pattern work. I would think it might be helpful to just do more of that!
I would assume that also means he's fine for cross country type flying...straight/level...std turns, std climbs and descents... I would think there's a good chance of just getting more comfortable with the movement over time.... a little turbulence etc... maybe ease into some steeper turns now and then....a slip for landing....just to get more acclimated to the motions...and to build confidence in the aircraft.

Yeah, so it might delay solo a while.... but so what? it's just hours and he might be able to "catch up" later...just doing things a bit out of order perhaps...

My wife has terrible motion sickness she can't even look at a phone for more than few seconds while riding in a car so she usually drives on long trips she doesn't get sick if she drives. When we got scuba certified we tried everything to get her out on a boat, but nothing worked bands around the wrists, Ginger, Ginger ale soda didn't work, and Dramamine and other over the counter drugs just made her too sleepy. I've never seen anyone that gets so motion sick she gets sick watching a boat while standing on a dock. She gave up scuba diving since no way to do it safely while vomiting from a boat she can shore dive how we got certified.

The only thing that seems to work is drinking alcohol obviously can't dive after drinking although I know people do it. Works out okay on a snorkel boat few shots of Tequlia she is good for an hour or two.

I wonder if your student is able to ride in a car and play a video game on a smart phone without getting sick? If he can do that then it may not be just motion sickness causing it. He might not be truthful with you just maybe anxiety.

I wonder if your student is able to ride in a car and play a video game on a smart phone without getting sick? If he can do that then it may not be just motion sickness causing it. He might not be truthful with you just maybe anxiety.
Or it could be that the student gets airsick and not carsick. A person who never gets carsick could easily get airsick or seasick, despite no previous signs of a tendency to motion sickness, because they are two very different experiences.

Seen it before. I'd recommend the student rule out inner ear problems with an ENT before going much further in training. You can try a DIY barany chair to see if that induces motion sickness symptoms.
A Barany Chair WILL induce motion sickness.

A classmate in UPT got sick every flight, as in fill a bag or two per flight. A couple of flights he ran out of bags and had to use his glove.

After X number of flights, they told that was it, if he got sick on the next flight, he was OUT. He never got sick again.

There are the TransDerm Scop patches. They need a prescription. During the 90s, I hosted a group trip to Sky Warriors to do air combat flying. About half the group were not pilots (all were serious sim fliers) and only flew that one time per year. The TransDerm Scop patches worked well to allow them to go all out for the first flight for the full time. On the longer trips, several tried later flights without them and were fine. It got them through the initial flights where the body was no up the the G and maneuvering.

A Barany Chair WILL induce motion sickness.

Yep and cheaper than doing in the air. Part of the reason I recommended an ENT eval to was to rule out physiological causes.

There are techniques with a Barany chair to acclimate to vestibular disruption. There’s also other vestibular rehabilitation therapies to deal with injuries to the system.

I’m not really a fan of sucking it up in the cockpit. Isn’t fun for the student, inhibit learning retention, and create reactionary/fear-based behaviors that results in an overall negative learning evolution.

I’m not really a fan of sucking it up in the cockpit. Isn’t fun for the student, inhibit learning retention, and create reactionary/fear-based behaviors that results in an overall negative learning evolution.
That's why I liked using Dramamine early on. The non-drowsy stuff kept me alert enough to learn just fine, and I think I would have at least tripled the amount of times being sick during flight if I didn't use it. It is also a cost consideration. If I am very ill, the rest of the flight has zero (or even negative) value. I was honest with my instructor, and was able to wean myself off of it by reducing the dose over time before soloing.

Or it could be that the student gets airsick and not carsick. A person who never gets carsick could easily get airsick or seasick, despite no previous signs of a tendency to motion sickness, because they are two very different experiences.
Does he get motion sickness going through same maneuvers when someone else is the PIC. If not then unlikely to be motion sickness. Anxiety can cause someone to vomit.

Last edited:
Another thing to try if all else fails. I have worn one of these the first time I flew aerobatics and felt that it helped.

Back