Student In need of help.

Shivan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shivan
Hi everyone, Im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. But Im currently attending college at Westminster and am majoring in Aviation. I want to become a commercial Pilot. And for one of my classes I was told to ask some questions to current Pilots for a paper that I am writing. I personally don't know any Pilots around where I live so if you guys could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

You can respond to me through E-mail or even on here.

E-mail: evoshivan@gmail.com

Questions:

1. Whats your full name? And are you currently a Pilot?
2. What made you want to become a Pilot?
3. What is your favorite thing about your job?
4. Im a freshmen in college and want to become a pilot, is there any advice you can give me?

1. Mike Farlow. Yes.
2. Running around my neighborhood with my arms outstretched making airplane noises wasn't cutting it anymore. Plus I wanted to travel
3. I get to spend lots of money every month (I'm the buyer at our small biz)
4. Get a degree in a discipline that can pay well outside of aviation. Gives you a fall back point if the aviation career doesn't take off.

PS. Where are you located? I betcha there is a small airport somewhere nearby that if you went out there with good coffee and some donuts, you'd fine a few pilots more than willing to share some stories with you, and perhaps offer a ride.

Hold on, folks. Before posting your full name, I'd like to ask Shivan a question or two:

Shivan, no offense, but we've seen a number of new posts start out saying "I'm not sure if this is the right place..."

Can you let us know which Westminster college you are at? There are at least 3 that I've heard of.

Also, can you let us know why you are using a gmail account? Most students would proudly use their xxxxx.edu address for a school project. Just curious.

I hope you can understand how some of us are concerned about identity theft.

Chris Wohlgemuth. I hold a commercial pilot and advanced ground instructor certificate, and am working on becoming a flight instructor.

I grew up in the airlines. When a friend gave me his copy of FS2000, I got hooked on the flying side of aviation. After riding jumpseat on another friend's Gulfstream IV training flight, I decided to concentrate more towards corporate/general aviation.

I am not employed in aviation currently.

4. Im a freshmen in college and want to become a pilot, is there any advice you can give me?
A higher frequency of lessons will usually result in less time needed to become a pilot. You will retain more information between lessons than you would flying weekly or monthly. A lot of students come in gung-ho, only to be dragged out of the hangar by their leather wallet. Save up your money so you can fly with greater frequency. Even if you can only fly weekly, it's better to do that than to fly every other day for three weeks then end up broke and on the ground for the next five months.

Immerse yourself in aviation. Read the books. Read the magazines and online articles. Watch YouTube videos. Not all of being a pilot is knowing how to make the plane go up, down, left, right. The knowledge behind it is equally important. Flight Simulator and X-Plane are great programs to dabble in to flying on your desktop. Although you will not be able to experience the feel of the airplane, you can at least get the jist of it. This will be especially helpful with learning what the gauges are for and how to work the avionics, like the GPS and radio navigation.

If it is okay with the student and the instructor, ride in the back seat on other students' lessons. It's like a free lesson, where you can watch another student learn the same stuff as you, and you can watch all of the mistakes unfold and learn how to watch out for them in your own flying.

Start off with the ground school. You will need to take your knowledge test before your checkride, and many students wait until the last minute only to be delayed on their checkride because they did not take the test earlier. If you see yourself being able to pass your checkride in two years, go ahead and take it after passing the ground school. Some of the stuff may not click until you fly the real thing, but you will at least have a foundation to work on.
If you are not majoring in aviation, you may still be able to get college credits for holding a pilot certificate.

Also, can you let us know why you are using a gmail account? Most students would proudly use their xxxxx.edu address for a school project. Just curious.
I personally use my .edu address only when I absolutely have to (student discounts and communication with faculty). It's easier to use my Gmail account because it is what I check regularly.

1. Henning Heinemann, yes
2. Naked Women
3. $40,000 a trip and all the blow I can do.
4. Learn Spanish and make good friends with a lawyer and a bail bondsman.

Currently flying under the sport pilot rules. Does that count?

Always been around airplanes, and I like mechanical things (in alphabetical order) - airplanes, boats, cars, motorcycles. But not trains. I do not like them Sam I am.

Working with the students. They can be full of enthusiasm and fun ideas. They build everything from robot arms to quad copters to electric scooters in my lab.

Get a degree in engineering - you can either get a good paying job to finance you flying (and will better understand how airplanes really work) or, if you go the professional pilot route, you have a fall back option for when you lose your medical.

Sacramento Arrow. Yes.

I wanted to fly airplanes, and it was highly recommended I become a pilot first prior to doing so.

I hate my job. I wish I could fly for a living.

Unless you're financially independent or have some kind of rich sugar mommy, wait until you get a job so you can fund your training.

Hi everyone, Im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. But Im currently attending college at Westminster and am majoring in Aviation. I want to become a commercial Pilot. And for one of my classes I was told to ask some questions to current Pilots for a paper that I am writing. I personally don't know any Pilots around where I live so if you guys could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

You can respond to me through E-mail or even on here.

E-mail: evoshivan@gmail.com

Questions:

If you're writing a paper, then names are irrelevant and may be forbidden based on the rules at your college.

Suggestions & advice? Learn grammar. Learn punctuation. If you're in college and still don't understand how to properly use the apostrophe, you need to forget about aviation and first take remedial English composition. A large part of aviation (and every other field) is communication.

4. I'm a freshmen in college and want to become a pilot, is there any advice you can give me?

Unless you're financially independent or have some kind of rich sugar mommy, wait until you get a job so you can fund your training.

But it doesn't have to be much of a job. I was lucky enough in college to have tuition, room, and board paid for by an academic scholarship. It's surprising how easily a part time job can become flying money. (For me, an overnight ambulance shift was enough income for an hour flight lesson; I worked a shift or two a week.)

And while "full-ride" scholarships are becoming harder to come by, there are a million little scholarships out there that nobody applies for. Ask at your counselling office. A friend of mine funded a huge chunk of her education on those $1000 essay competitions you always get e-mails about but never enter. She wasn't some brilliant writer to start out, she just would see the contest, read up on the topic, and write. It's kind of surprising how many of those are out there, how few apply for them, and how much they add up. Same with things like rotary scholarships or random ethnic-type scholarships. (The essay contest girl also got a couple of small awards put together by small Irish-American societies.) Of course, if you're a true URM, it's a whole other world that I don't really know about.

What I'm trying to get across is, yes, flying is expensive, but only because most of us have a bunch of "normal" expenses that come first -- food and shelter. Sometimes students have clever ways to get around the normal cost of living. If you're in that situation, take advantage of it while you can.

Hold on, folks. Before posting your full name, I'd like to ask Shivan a question or two:

Shivan, no offense, but we've seen a number of new posts start out saying "I'm not sure if this is the right place..."

Can you let us know which Westminster college you are at? There are at least 3 that I've heard of.

I hope you can understand how some of us are concerned about identity theft.

I go to Westminster college in Utah. And I honestly didnt think about using my edu address if you would like i can give you that address as well. And I totally understand about the theft.

If you're writing a paper, then names are irrelevant and may be forbidden based on the rules at your college.

Suggestions & advice? Learn grammar. Learn punctuation. If you're in college and still don't understand how to properly use the apostrophe, you need to forget about aviation and first take remedial English composition. A large part of aviation (and every other field) is communication.

This is actually for a Annotated Bibliography so i would need names. But if you guys don't want to answer any questions you don't have to. :wink2:

For everyone that helped me in answering questions, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the good info:) All you guys were very helpful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back