Student Endorsement

Stets656

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
For all you CFIs out there, I just wanted to double check with some of you regarding a student pilot solo endorsement. If I have a student that has already soloed before but it has since been 90 days what endorsements does he need in his logbook? I believe it he needs the additional 90 day solo endorsement as well as the make/model endorsement both of which go in his logbook. He has a plastic student pilot cert.

Thanks!

You have it correct. Additional Student Solo sign-off with make and model.

We just went through this in last nights CFI Initial class...

If the prior 90 day solo endorsement has expired, an additional 90 day solo requirement is needed.

AC 61-65G has the details and the template text of the endorsement

We just went through this in last nights CFI Initial class...

If the prior 90 day solo endorsement has expired, an additional 90 day solo requirement is needed.

AC 61-65G has the details and the template text of the endorsement

*Note AC 61-65H is current.

Yup, and AC 61-65H has them all in there for ya.

Ok thanks. So the make/model endorsement is usually part of the additional 90 day solo endorsement, right? Also, if he has the plastic student pilot cert, he does not need any endorsements relating to his student pilot cert, correct?

Ok thanks. So the make/model endorsement is usually part of the additional 90 day solo endorsement, right? Also, if he has the plastic student pilot cert, he does not need any endorsements relating to his student pilot cert, correct?
((tough love nudge to go look it up yourself.... especially after we gave you the reference..... but if you insist....))

A.7 Solo flight (each additional 90 calendar-day period): § 61.87(p).

I certify that [First name, MI, Last name] has received the required training to qualify for solo flying. I have determined that [he or she] meets the applicable requirements of § 61.87(p) and is proficient to make solo flights in [make and model].​

Got it, so I've been reading through AC 61-65H quite a bit. However, I still have a few reservations that I'd like to clear up.

1. Am I correct in saying that a student does not need a separate endorsement to go to the practice area and practice maneuvers solo?-They just need their 90 day
2. If I were sending a student solo for the first time ever(no previous endorsements)- he would need 1. pre-solo aeronautical knowledge endorse, 2. pre-solo flight training endorsement, and 3. solo flight(first 90 days) endorsement
3. With the recent transition from the combined medical/student pilot cert to the new plastic student pilot cert. , do I need to put the required student pilot endorsements in the logbook now? Or are student pilot certificate endorsements just no longer required at all? I believe it to be the latter.

I'm sure I'll take some flack for asking these basic questions but I just want to double check that I am interpreting these correctly. Thank you!

Got it, so I've been reading through AC 61-65H quite a bit. However, I still have a few reservations that I'd like to clear up.

1. Am I correct in saying that a student does not need a separate endorsement to go to the practice area and practice maneuvers solo?-They just need their 90 day
2. If I were sending a student solo for the first time ever(no previous endorsements)- he would need 1. pre-solo aeronautical knowledge endorse, 2. pre-solo flight training endorsement, and 3. solo flight(first 90 days) endorsement
3. With the recent transition from the combined medical/student pilot cert to the new plastic student pilot cert. , do I need to put the required student pilot endorsements in the logbook now? Or are student pilot certificate endorsements just no longer required at all? I believe it to be the latter.

I'm sure I'll take some flack for asking these basic questions but I just want to double check that I am interpreting these correctly. Thank you!

Are you a CFI? :confused:

yea, lemme have it

Nah, won’t slam you, but I will blame your instructor. Really, you should know this stuff. Did your CFI not go over all this, even the examiner should have quizzed you on it. Look through Part 61 which lays out what’s required. Yes, endorsement go in the student’s logbook, and are still required. Again, AC 61-65 lists them.

Last edited:
We leaned hard into this in my CFI-A class. I think because the instructor teaching the class got hosed a few times from improperly executed endorsements. So it's a hot button he does not want us fledgelings to repeat.

Nah, won’t slam you, but I will blame your instructor. Really, you should know this stuff. Did your CFI not go over all this, even the examiner should have quizzed you on it. Look through Part 61 which lays out what’s required. Yes, endorsement go in the student’s logbook, and are still required. Again, AC 61-65 lists them.

Yes I am aware that I should know it and I am working to learn it. After reading through Part 61 and AC 61-65H. With that being said, can anybody confirm my below findings?

If I were sending a student solo for the first time ever(no previous endorsements)- he would need 1. pre-solo aeronautical knowledge endorsement, 2. pre-solo flight training endorsement, and 3. solo flight(first 90 days) endorsement

As stated in AC 61-65H
A.3
A.4
A.6

Can you imagine the added fun if you were training a student at a KADS? Tack on all the Bravo endorsements to the list....

yaaaaaayyyyeeeesssssss?

Almost 100% certain that I was correct in my above statement just looking for confirmation. Also, when writing a complex endorsement, when writing in the make and model that the training was conducted in, is it acceptable to just put Piper Arrow or do I need to type of arrow as well? (Like Arrow III)

With some of these "interesting" threads we've had recently, I'm totally out of 10-foot poles and in danger of using up all my 9-foot hungarians.

Back