Student Asks About Prior DUI

ggroves

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Titanium
Before this evenings flight, my 4th lesson, primary student casually tells me that a year ago, "I blew a .13"... after closing down a local watering hole with his buddies. He has not as yet applied for his medical, so I explained to him the process, 61.15, and the form he will have to complete which will ask the question about Drug/Alcohol convictions. He doesn't plan on flying professionally and this is his only conviction. He's 45 years old.

Question - does the AME automatically defer to OKC for a issuance, or can he issue directly? Any other issues he needs to worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
182 RG
CFI-IA

Ugh. Amazingly, it depends on what the student says. EVERY AME in the system will call OKC before issuance. Some AMEs, because it requires a call, will just defer. If the student clearly has good judgement (and that CAN be assessed very quickly) and has a multiyear successful life test, does not have a history of divorce, multiple job changes, etc. he might still be issued. But most will defer.

Your guy screwed himself. What was he thinking (or smoking)?

John Denver really cost us a LOT in many subtle ways, and this is one of them.

bbchien said:
John Denver really cost us a LOT in many subtle ways, and this is one of them.

Why do you say That? He wasn't drunk when he crashed was he??? I havn't heard of anything negitive about the guy, that way. Just asking because I dont know, and am currious.

FAA lost a lot of flexibility after that one. JD was on an SI for alcoholism, and one of the conditions was that he was to be totally abstinent. He was to send reports from his Internist every 180 days. The last one said, "Mr. Denver enjoys a glass of wine or two after supper and has no signs of abuse".

JD then evaded certified mail demanding his certificate back; he then returned a second one illegibly. The US Marshall service had him on the list for physical repossession.

On the day of the accident, he declined CFI time with the ferry pilot of the Long EZ, he declined extra fuel, he declined an inspection mirror (dental) with which to see the sight tubes in the back cockpit which are the fuel gauges. In short he displayed alcoholism judgement and FAA was burned by the congress critters in the aftermath. "I wanna talk to the guy who let this man fly..."

So just like there is an FAR for everything, Alcoholism is now very very carefully reviewed. An AME is unlikely to be able to do such a thorough review in the office.

So when someone says "those who believe, feel the power" I say bullc_ap. This guy cost us.

Thanks Bruce. I'm going to encourage him to see an AME sooner rather than later to get the process started since deferal is a very real possibility.

Greg

Before you send him to the AME, send him to AOPA and/or Bruce to consult on how to best set up his dominoes so that they can fall down in his direction.

Back