Stubborn malware cripples computer

Comodo also has a secure DNS service that I just started testing.

Comodo claim that their technology (which "fundamentally eliminates the concept of a TTL") enables them to more quickly invalidate entries for malicious sites.

I've been running a couple of machines through their DNS for a few days with no noticeable difference in performance. Next step is telling a Linux box to try to visit a whole string of malicious sites.

-Rich

Comodo also has a secure DNS service that I just started testing.

Comodo claim that their technology (which "fundamentally eliminates the concept of a TTL") enables them to more quickly invalidate entries for malicious sites.

I've been running a couple of machines through their DNS for a few days with no noticeable difference in performance. Next step is telling a Linux box to try to visit a whole string of malicious sites.

-Rich
How do they "fundamentally eliminate the concept of a TLL" ??? ...Really curious...

I personally am not too excited about DNS services that mess with DNS responses instead of providing the intended answer.

How do they "fundamentally eliminate the concept of a TLL" ??? ...Really curious...

I personally am not too excited about DNS services that mess with DNS responses instead of providing the intended answer.

I dunno. I find that a little odd myself, and I don't know half as much about this stuff as you do. That's why I put in in quotes.

But I don't necessarily think blocking access to sites that are known to be fronting for the Russian Mob is a bad thing, if they're actually good at it. People like you and I might be interested in knowing what, exactly, these zombied sites are serving up, and can easily bypass a filtering DNS service and fire up a Linux box to find out. But I suspect most users are just as happy not to get infected, and don't give a rat's hindquarters about whether the DNS response got meddled with.

The question I have is more along the lines of whether it works. How do they get around local DNS caching, for example? Set the TTLs (which they have "fundamentally eliminated") to zero?

But I'm open-minded and willing to give it a shot. I have a pre-paid account where this one particular secretary manages to infect her machine every week, and I get to do the unpaid calls to clean it up. If something like this cuts the calls by a third, I'm pretty thrilled about it.

-Rich

I've got some kind of commercials playing in the background I can't turn off. Using MS Securities Essentials and Adaware; they don't see any problems. When I hit control/alt/delete task manager is greyed out. Any suggestions? Or should I just go through then entire procedures as outlined above?

Best,

Dave

Well, never mind. The Malwarebyte's Anti-malware seems to have done the trick.

Best,

Dave

Back