Strut fill covers

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
On Pipers there is a little cap that covers the strut fill nozzle. These caps provide nothing but a little dirt protection from that area and smooth the air flow a bit. I have once again lost one somewhere in flight. I lose one about once ever 6 months. Other than duct taping the little buggers on does anyone know of a good way to prevent them from coming off?

Does this cap slip over the cap that screws on to a Schrader valve?

Trapper John

Might try to find a larger diameter Schrader valve cap at the auto parts store that would have a tighter fit with the decorative cap. Assuming that's how the decorative cap attaches...

Trapper John

On Pipers there is a little cap that covers the strut fill nozzle. These caps provide nothing but a little dirt protection from that area and smooth the air flow a bit. I have once again lost one somewhere in flight. I lose one about once ever 6 months. Other than duct taping the little buggers on does anyone know of a good way to prevent them from coming off?

2 per year? I've lost two since 1994 on my cherokee (but you probably fly way more
than I do).

I've thought about using a little RTV, but haven't lost a cap for
a little while.

Thin bead of silicone or non-hardening gasket cement. If yours are the same as mine, then bending the small metal tabs outward may help as well.

Gary

You can get them very reasonable at plumbing supply stores. Just ask for a "cock hole cover" - seriously. I use something different. I use blank stick on house numbers. They are rectangular and more than large enough to cover the hole and they keep out water. They are not reusable but cheap enough that it doesn't matter. It is sort of like using duct tape but looks much better.

Hi Scott.

As a datapoint. I've owned my Cherokee 180 for about 1100 hrs of flying. I am yet to lose one of these covers.

I wonder if the holes in the wing skin are too big, or have been put out of round by careless nitrogen fills? Anyway, if I was in your position, I'd try bending/spreading the tabs on the cover for a little extra grab, and a few little dots of silicone just to be certain.

Could try putting an internal snap ring of the appropriate size inside the little tabs that hold the cover on... seems to do the trick most of the time ;)

Back