Stroke

P

Paul

Is it possible to obtain a medical after a stroke? (assuming full recovery)

Thanks

Grounded

If it has a proveable and correctable cause, one year down. If it's just an ASCVD type stroke, 2 years down. Neurocog at the end of two years, neurologist's assessment and deepnding on the MRI location of "he hit", formal Humphrey visual fields.

Also depending on the location of the stroke you may need theFAA's neurocognitive evaluation. PRICEY.

Last edited:
I'm pushing 78 so I've decided to lay low so the FAA doesn't pull my medical. Down the road IF I've made a full recovery I'll fly with other pilots. Then If I do well it's Sport Pilot for me. Or perhaps the House will get off its duff and pass PBOR 2.

Paul

I had an ischemic stroke a little over two years ago and I'm trying to start the process to get a special issuance now. I have a few random-ish questions that I hope someone here might be able to help with:
  • Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Jeff Dysart in San Diego?
  • When I went to schedule my neurocognitive evaluation, the doc asked me for a copy of my letter from the FAA. I don't have one since I haven't applied for a medical cert since my stroke. What exactly is she referring to? My understanding is that I don't need to be rejected for a medical in order to apply for a special issuance if I know I'm going to need it, but I want to make sure my understanding is correct.
  • I think I am going to need to see at least an AME, a cardiologist, and a psychologist, based on the published FAA standards for the stroke. Does it matter whether I see the AME before or after the other two?
Any guidance that anyone can give would be appreciated.

Well, applying and waiting to get rejected makes about as much sense as going before a Board of inquiry with no Prep. Yeesh.

There is a long list of stuff you need:
If you have never been placed on an anti seizure med and never had one:
2 years down
Mri optimized for hemosiderosis
Usually a carotid doppler study and Echocardiogram.
Summary letter from your doc discussing your ASCVD risk factors and their mgmt.
Stress treadmill run.
Current neurologist's detailed evaluation
Depending on location, current Humphrey 24-2 or 30-2 visual fields and 8500-7.
FAA neuro- cognitive evaluation IAW current spec sheet.
Whatever operational assessment of any weaknesses per the AME or an occupational med doc.

The shops doing the neuroCog are just used to having the letter. But actually if you do it right, and someone in the know provides the referral and specs (Usually a knowedgable AME), and have everything done and favorable, you can get the agency issuance in about 2 months :)

Dr. Bruce

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back