Stroke - 1 year follow-up

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Joined
Jul 27, 2015
Messages
826
Display Name
azpilot
Please see the linked thread for details.


One year ago I had a stroke. I have recovered phenomenally. I have zero residual lasting effects. My understanding of the situation is that from a flying point of view, I have a mandatory two year wait before I can get a medical. I am not eligible for basic med as the cause of my stroke was not identified. My stroke impacted the Broca's area of my left frontal lobe. I could not talk. Like, literally, couldn't talk. It was so weird. However, I was able to go back to work as an Aerospace Engineer, and nobody has even noticed that anything was wrong with me. But that's all beside the point...

As this is the one year anniversary, I'm trying to decide if it's worth pursuing getting a medical. I'm expecting a long drawn out process. The one question I really have is about the loop recorded I have implanted. It's been in me for a year now monitoring my heart. I've had two six month follow ups with my cardiologist. He gets monthly reports from the company monitoring my loop recorder. He hasn't seen any anomalous cardiac activity. Here's the question:

If I decide to pursue getting a medical, is one year of heart monitoring with the loop recorder going to be enough? I really want to get this thing out. It's really annoying. It's implanted sub-dermally, and it's itchy and annoying. I'm also paying monthly for the monitoring. If 12 months of data is enough, I'll get it out. If 12 months isn't enough... then I have a decision to make.
 
Glad to hear you've had such a good recovery!

If Basic Med isn't an option, what about Sport Pilot? I assume you still have a driver's license, right?
 
Glad to hear you've had such a good recovery!

If Basic Med isn't an option, what about Sport Pilot? I assume you still have a driver's license, right?
Thank you! Yes, my DL is still good. Sport pilot doesn't really align with my goals. I had an entire master plan. I was going to get commercial, then CFI / CFII. I wanted to take on instructing as a part time gig, and transition that to full time instructing in my early 50's. (I'm 44 now). I have about 300 hours now and was about to check off all the boxes for my commercial requirements.
 
!

If Basic Med isn't an option, what about Sport Pilot? I assume you still have a driver's license, right?
This is one of the "must do at least one special issuance" cases for basic med.
 
Thank you! Yes, my DL is still good. Sport pilot doesn't really align with my goals. I had an entire master plan. I was going to get commercial, then CFI / CFII. I wanted to take on instructing as a part time gig, and transition that to full time instructing in my early 50's. (I'm 44 now). I have about 300 hours now and was about to check off all the boxes for my commercial requirements.

I’m a fan of not closing doors that are open. Your health issues come first; goals can flex. Before I made a decision to have the recorder removed, I’d be engaging Doc Bruce to consult on the path ahead and the likeliness of success.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html How to Start




If instructing is the goal, there is always the Sport Pilot Flight Instructor rating as an interim.
 
This is one of the "must do at least one special issuance" cases for basic med.
Maybe this one:

-- Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause (e.g., unexplained syncope).

But personally I'd run it by a real doctor who actually examines the patient not the FAA. with the usual caveats to determine if the pilot is safe.
 
Flying Ron is correct. and the FAA will not entetain any application in this situaiton at less than 24 months from the event. Why? Because we know that in the first two years afer such, another event is 4-5 times more likely.

Like you said in your first sentence of your first post:
AZPILOT said:
I have a mandatory two year wait before I can get a medical. I am not eligible for basic med as the cause of my stroke was not identified.
You have stated FEDERAL polilcy on that. So if you apply after one year, you do the neurocog twice, now for the ill-concieved re-applicaton, and again in a year so that yo uhave a "current to application" neurcog. I don't get the "logic" of trying at a year. It will be denied. Policy is just that: Policy.

If it makes you feel better to do a round now and get denied, by all means do that. And then you lose light sport and also Mosaic!

I just don't see the logic.
 
Last edited:
Flying Ron is correct. and the FAA will not entetain any application in this situaiton at less than 24 months from the event. Why? Because we know that in the first two years afer such, another event is 4-5 times more likely.

Like you said in your first sentence of your first post:

You have stated FEDERAL polilcy on that. So if you apply after one year, you do the neurocog twice, now for the ill-concieved re-applicaton, and again in a year so that yo uhave a "current to application" neurcog. I don't get the "logic" of trying at a year. It will be denied. Policy is just that: Policy.

If it makes you feel better to do a round now and get denied, by all means do that. And then you lose light sport and also Mosaic!

I just don't see the logic.
I don't think he's wanting to try to get a medical at a year. Not sure where that came into play, but here's his question:

If I decide to pursue getting a medical, is one year of heart monitoring with the loop recorder going to be enough? I really want to get this thing out. It's really annoying. It's implanted sub-dermally, and it's itchy and annoying. I'm also paying monthly for the monitoring. If 12 months of data is enough, I'll get it out. If 12 months isn't enough... then I have a decision to make.
 
I don't think he's wanting to try to get a medical at a year. Not sure where that came into play, but here's his question:
Thank you, Mark.
One only needs 6 month of monitoring to eliminate A Fib! You get a single 7 day portable, within 90 days prior to the reapplication, eg, 10 months from now, to bring it up to "current".
B
 
Last edited:
If it makes you feel better to do a round now and get denied, by all means do that. And then you lose light sport and also Mosaic!
I would not consider applying for a medical until after the two years period. I am just trying to decide if I should keep the loop recorder implanted, or if it's ok to take it out. This is the one I have.


One only needs 6 month of monitoring to eliminate A Fib! You get a single 7 day portable, within 90 days prior to the reapplication, eg, 10 months from now, to bring it up to "current".

Based on this comment, it sounds like I will proceed with getting the loop recorder removed, and if I get to the point that I want to try for a special issuance, I can get a 7 day refresh within 90 days of re-application.
 
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back
Top