Strobe sounds

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I've had my Archer for a little over a month. I'm getting to know it from the few flights I've had with it. When I do my pre-flight, I turn on the battery and check the lights, fuel gauges and stall horn. When I turn on the strobe lights as part of that check, I can hear a sound almost like an ELT sweep but from low to high (as opposed to an ELT sweep which is high to low). Is this normal? My instructors Archer never did this. Just thought it was odd. When the engine is running I can't hear the sweep, but maybe that's because the engine is louder than the noise.

My airplane manual says my strobes can emit a 1 to 1.5 khz sound. I'm assuming this is what I'm hearing.

I've had my Archer for a little over a month. I'm getting to know it from the few flights I've had with it. When I do my pre-flight, I turn on the battery and check the lights, fuel gauges and stall horn. When I turn on the strobe lights as part of that check, I can hear a sound almost like an ELT sweep but from low to high (as opposed to an ELT sweep which is high to low). Is this normal? My instructors Archer never did this. Just thought it was odd. When the engine is running I can't hear the sweep, but maybe that's because the engine is louder than the noise.

My airplane manual says my strobes can emit a 1 to 1.5 khz sound. I'm assuming this is what I'm hearing.
I'd think one of the power supplies is not grounded as it should be. or the wire to one of the flashcubes is not fully shielded

I get a faint tick, tick, tick, before I start. Perfectly normal considering the energy output so close to wiring, coax and antennas. I cannot hear it once the engine is running.

Thanks guys. At first I thought the ELT was going off. But you can't hear an ELT without a radio right? I tuned to 121.5 just in case and there was nothing. Getting to know the nuances of your own plane has its moments.

Back