Strobe Replacements

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I've been thinking about this for a bit, but with annual coming up I'm thinking of actually doing something about it.

The strobes on the 310 are big, ugly, and draggy:

IMG_00000058.jpg
IMG_00000057.jpg

Whelen recommended these:

http://www.whelen.com/install/143/14357.pdf

While they look a bit smaller and would definitely be brighter, my primary goal is to reduce the drag as much as possible and gain speed as a result. I don't feel like these would really do a great job on that, but I've never done a back-to-back comparison.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I actually like the Whelen HFCRA's that you have. Some new lenses can go a long way. I like all the LED's but the lights that are supposed to blink just look weird compared to the flash tubes. Ive put LED nav and landing lights on my PA-28's but new lenses on the beacon.

I think what I'll end up doing is keep the ones on there until something comes out that will let me either eliminate them altogether or be lower profile. This annual I'll focus on the air conditioning.

I think what I'll end up doing is keep the ones on there until something comes out that will let me either eliminate them altogether or be lower profile. This annual I'll focus on the air conditioning.

I eliminated the coffee-can tail beacon entirely, use tip strobes and low profile belly strobe for anti collision lighting.
If your strobes have the right coverage, the huge tail strobe can go completely away and fair the opening.

Back