Stripe or no stripe

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
Which do you prefer? Customer does not want the extra stripe but I think it is naked without it. Should be in the air by next week if I can find enough baffels for the engine.

Dan

Attachments

• 170B paint stripe.JPG
    170B paint stripe.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 170B paint.jpg
    170B paint.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 122
me? stripe.

But whatever the customer wants...

I think the tail stripe should be there. But it ain't my airplane, izzit?

I like the graphics, subtle and simple. It may not be mine but I may have took at it. Besides, I think Dan was looking for a consensus...something with which to persuade the owner.

I wouldn't argue with the customer over it or even discuss it with them further. Even if you win you might not win. The customers always right.

"Ok, no stripe it is. That will be $1200 for the stripe delete package."

I wouldn't argue with the customer over it or even discuss it with them further. Even if you win you might not win. The customers always right.

Not really arguing with him, I forgot to put it on. The graphic is what we decided on for the finished product. When I noticed that I forgot it ,he said he liked it the way it was. Not a big deal, less work for me. I just hate putting stuff out there that does not look right. It does look nice and clean without. It is just that it really looks complete "with", not to mention it is closer to stock "with".

Dan

Which do you prefer? Customer does not want the extra stripe but I think it is naked without it. Should be in the air by next week if I can find enough baffels for the engine.

Dan

I like the stripe.

"Ok, no stripe it is. That will be $1200 for the stripe delete package."

Exactly. ;)

FTR, I also think that "extra" stripe is just perfect.

But, oh well... even a C-170 with a boring paint job s still a C-170... :D

Me too. Why the goofy (er, unusual and unique) placement of the N-Number?

He did not want large N numbers. 2" numbers would have looked stupid on the fuselage. I like large numbers. I compromised. Someone else said before I put them on that they would not like them there...when he saw them he liked. You can not see it well on the pic but they really look nice.

I'll take your word for it. FYI, the 2" numbers fit nicely on a friend's 180 rudder, I think the corrugation pattern is the same.
He did not want large N numbers. 2" numbers would have looked stupid on the fuselage. I like large numbers. I compromised. Someone else said before I put them on that they would not like them there...when he saw them he liked. You can not see it well on the pic but they really look nice.

I'll take your word for it. FYI, the 2" numbers fit nicely on a friend's 180 rudder, I think the corrugation pattern is the same.

I do not think they can go on the rudder. They need to be on a fixed part of the aircraft.

Dan

I do not think they can go on the rudder. They need to be on a fixed part of the aircraft.

Dan

That's going to come as a huge surprise to all the folks with a full rudder/hortzontal tail where the entire tail moves and have 2" number on them. Myself included.

Got an FAR cite for that?

That's going to come as a huge surprise to all the folks with a full rudder/hortzontal tail where the entire tail moves and have 2" number on them. Myself included.

I will look it up later I am trying to get up and running right now. I remember reading it though that the Numbers needed to be on a part of the aircraft that was not removeable.

Dan

our 421's have big numbers that are painted on the vertical stab/rudder

I'm weird, I like the stripe-less tail.

Tim

Dan

My friend who just paid a big paint shop for his 180 work last week is going to be mad as hell when he finds out.

Oh, man, definitely with the stripe. Is the guy just going cheap on you???

It needs a contrasting color.

It has a burgundy stripe below the blue I will take a close up later next week I have to work somewhere else a couple of days.

I installed the radio and ordered the baffles for the engine today should be up and running end of next week. It sure will be a nice little plane.

It did not look as bad as this Champ but it was close when I started.
The Champ will be a restoration, engine has only hours on it and just came back from the builders with a clean bill of health.

Sad that these two planes Champ and 170, have been just sitting for over 15 years. In a hanger but still. The 170 ended up being a very clean plane. The Taylorcraft has also been sitting and is super clean with a new engine also. Nice planes just neglected.

Dan

Attachments

• Champ.JPG
    Champ.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 9

The customer is not always right . . . but he is always the customer.

§ 45.25 Location of marks on fixed-wing aircraft.

(a) The operator of a fixed-wing aircraft shall display the required marks on either the vertical tail surfaces or the sides of the fuselage, except as provided in §45.29(f).

On the web site at FAA.gov. If the vertical tail moves this would go with the ruling. There was an article on it in EAA Sport Aviation as it pertained to powered parachutes and Gyroplanes. I am thinking that that is where I read it in the first place.

Dan

Back