Stress Test

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I did a treadmill stress test today. No reason other than during a regular non FAA physical the doc (actually a PA) suggested doing one as a baseline for future reference. Anyway, all was normal. The PA said I was in better shape than I thought I was in. Surprised me.

Anyway, the question I have is when the PA ordered the stress test, he put that I was having chest pains on the order. I am not sure why he did that other than to put SOMETHING on it in order to justify it. I don't know. OK, now the question. Will the fact that he put that chest pain comment on the order affect my FAA physical in any way? I sort of think not, but I thought I would ask.

I did a treadmill stress test today. No reason other than during a regular non FAA physical the doc (actually a PA) suggested doing one as a baseline for future reference. Anyway, all was normal. The PA said I was in better shape than I thought I was in. Surprised me.

Anyway, the question I have is when the PA ordered the stress test, he put that I was having chest pains on the order. I am not sure why he did that other than to put SOMETHING on it in order to justify it. I don't know. OK, now the question. Will the fact that he put that chest pain comment on the order affect my FAA physical in any way? I sort of think not, but I thought I would ask.

If it wasn't true (you weren't having chest pains), I'd INSIST that they re-write the orders to indicate that the doctor just wanted a baseline for the future.

If it wasn't true (you weren't having chest pains), I'd INSIST that they re-write the orders to indicate that the doctor just wanted a baseline for the future.
Greg,
I agree 100% with Troy. You don't want that in your medical record and believe me, if he used that as a justification for the test order, he must have documented it as such in his note on your record. The main reason being "to protect himself" in the rare case of an insurance audit which are done at random albeit rarely.

Second, that's insurance fraud and if his action is questioned guess what he is going to say: "The patient can't remember but I documented here in my record that he complained of chest pain, see?

Some insurance companies won't pay for items considered preventive as opposed to investigating or treating symptoms. I started with a new doctor who wanted a nuclear stress test as a baseline. When I showed up, the people set conduct the test said that since I had no indications they questioned why the doctor had ordered it as stated that insurance would not cover it. When the doctor was queried, he stated that he would make sure that his write up would justify the test. I canceled and changed doctors.

Get it changed. That sort of thing is:
A) Fraud, and probably unnecessary fraud at that.
B) Grounds to start an investigation that could delay insurance payouts and cause all sorts of other hassles if you were killed or disabled while operating an aircraft.

Most insurance covers at least one "wellness" exam for adults per year, and they aren't too stingy about what tests are ordered, particularly with folks over 40. Full body scans don't fly, but stuff related to cardiac fitness, particularly when it's noninvasive, is generally approved.

This year I got a baseline EKG and comprehensive bloodwork, since I wanted to know if there would be any problems with getting a first class medical. Insurance company didn't bat an eye on paying for it.

How Ironic, I had a Nuclear Stress (Treadmill) Test today. What a PIA entire process took 5 hours. I also got it for a base line. I have right branch bundle block a minor electrical anomoly that really shouldn't ever effect me but its enough to get Blue Cross to approve the test. Not sure what was worse the IV in the back of my hand or the itchy chest from the bad shave job the tech gave me to allow the electrodes to stick.

So on to Gregs question. I agree with everyone you should get that off your record. I think the FAA physical actually asks if you have had any chest pain episodes or had and heart issues. Actually I think question18 g asks if you have had any heart or vasular trouble and quesiton 19 asks about all visits to Doctors in the past three years and why you went.Answering No could get you into some goo. And you don't want that on your record. If Bruce does not chime in PM him.

Ditto to everyone else. I wouldn't want that little piece of data on my record any more than I was willing to return narcotics to a pharmacy without a signature. My pilot's license is far too important to me than to accommodate someone else's convenience. That appears to be the case in his note on the report.

It shouldn't matter as it was negative. But what if it was equivocal? Email me Greg. You are a 121 pilot.
sigh.

Well I just double checked and no where was it ever mentioned that I was experiencing chest pains. Apparently the nurses just figured that I was having pains if I was doing the tests. But nothing is on paper about that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back