Stress Test

Kenny Lee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kenny Lee
I have another thread I started under Medical Topics called "Frustrated". Well, I'm still frustrated, but, this time I have a question maybe an AME on here can help me with.

I will be a special issuance from FAA. I received a letter from them requesting more information November 27th. One of the things they are requesting (or demanding if I am to get my medical) is a stress test. The first page describing the stress test says:

"Toy must provide the following FAA specific guidelines to your physician since they may be different than your physician's standard protocol and other protocols recordings at various stages, and an interpretative report of the test".

The test is described as a 3 minute Bruce protocol treadmill stress test. It goes on to say An applicant will be expected to complete stage 3 of the Bruce protocol which is equivalent to at least 9 minutes. Yes, Complete stage 3 is underlined. Of course it continues to give instructions after that totaling rest of the page.

I've been working and calling for over 2 weeks to get this procedure started. I did briefly see a cardiologist 15-20 years ago. I think he is retired now. I did however meet with a cardiologist last year at Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville Tn. I wasn't having heart issues, but, I was scheduled for another surgery and they requested I see a cardiologist before surgery. We didn't really do anything but talk. We have phone them several times over the last couple of weeks about scheduling this stress test. Today they finally called with information. They don't have the procedures in place to do a stress test of this detail & magnitude.

I live in Podunk Tn. Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville TN. is recognized as the Go To hospital around these parts. If Vanderbilt hospital doesn't have the capabilities, where in the world would I go?

Can anyone enlighten me at all?

Still frustrated.

I have another thread I started under Medical Topics called "Frustrated". Well, I'm still frustrated, but, this time I have a question maybe an AME on here can help me with.

I will be a special issuance from FAA. I received a letter from them requesting more information November 27th. One of the things they are requesting (or demanding if I am to get my medical) is a stress test. The first page describing the stress test says:

"Toy must provide the following FAA specific guidelines to your physician since they may be different than your physician's standard protocol and other protocols recordings at various stages, and an interpretative report of the test".

The test is described as a 3 minute Bruce protocol treadmill stress test. It goes on to say An applicant will be expected to complete stage 3 of the Bruce protocol which is equivalent to at least 9 minutes. Yes, Complete stage 3 is underlined. Of course it continues to give instructions after that totaling rest of the page.

I've been working and calling for over 2 weeks to get this procedure started. I did briefly see a cardiologist 15-20 years ago. I think he is retired now. I did however meet with a cardiologist last year at Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville Tn. I wasn't having heart issues, but, I was scheduled for another surgery and they requested I see a cardiologist before surgery. We didn't really do anything but talk. We have phone them several times over the last couple of weeks about scheduling this stress test. Today they finally called with information. They don't have the procedures in place to do a stress test of this detail & magnitude.

I live in Podunk Tn. Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville TN. is recognized as the Go To hospital around these parts. If Vanderbilt hospital doesn't have the capabilities, where in the world would I go?

Can anyone enlighten me at all?

Still frustrated.
I would bet a good lunch that they have the capabilities, but if it's not in their repertoire, they may simply not offer it.

My cardiologist does mine in the office. I'd bet a local cardiologist can as well. Call around.

Don't fear the requirements. You'll start at a simple walking pace. After three minutes the treadmill speed and incline increases a little. Still a walk. Another three minutes it increases again. Now a brisk walk slightly uphill. Whether you quit or go past 9 minutes depends on your heart rate. THAT's what you're chasing.

Maybe started this thread too soon. Just got a call back from a local hospital that does this same stress test for FAA all the time. I am scheduled for 1-2-19. Been stuck in menu hell with Vanderbilt for 2 weeks.

Bruce’s protocol stress tests are the standard treadmill test. No isotopes or nuclear component required?

Btw I’d study for that test. Get to the gym. Get on the treadmill make sure you get your cardio up a bit. For ppl that don’t really exercise once that incline goes up you get get behind quick

Maybe started this thread too soon. Just got a call back from a local hospital that does this same stress test for FAA all the time. I am scheduled for 1-2-19. Been stuck in menu hell with Vanderbilt for 2 weeks.
Dr. Bruce has commented many times in this forum about how the treadmill test needs to be done successfully. And also how it can be done all wrong. Be sure to search back for those posts and read them. And make sure both the doctor and the technician administering the test know.

Dr. Bruce has commented many times in this forum about how the treadmill test needs to be done successfully. And also how it can be done all wrong. Be sure to search back for those posts and read them. And make sure both the doctor and the technician administering the test know.

Vanderbilt sure can do a Bruce treadmill. You just need someone to write for a "bruce treadmill through 9 mins and Heart rate ___.

sigh.

I had the stress test Thursday at Vanderbilt. I had to stop after 6 minutes. If I am correct, not necessarily a disqualification? Anyhow, I have a followup with a cardiologist Wednesday, then with the AME sometime after.

The requirements do say you have to complete Stage 3 which is 9 minutes. So I would assume it is disqualifying. This might not be what you wanted to hear, but you really need to get your health under control at this point, and worry about flying later.

If you have a physical limitation that doesn’t suit the treadmill there is an alternate test available. Talk to your cardiologist and make a plan. Leave the FAA out of it for now.

The requirements do say you have to complete Stage 3 which is 9 minutes. So I would assume it is disqualifying. This might not be what you wanted to hear, but you really need to get your health under control at this point, and worry about flying later.

Yes, it does say they require 9 minutes. But it also says not completing MAY serve as a basis for disqualification. My letter goes on to say it will be taken on a case by case basis. So, still a possibility although maybe not too strong.

Like you say, either way first thing is get my health under control. the FAA is going to do what they're going to do. Time for a lifestyle change for sure.

I had the stress test Thursday at Vanderbilt. I had to stop after 6 minutes. If I am correct, not necessarily a disqualification? Anyhow, I have a followup with a cardiologist Wednesday, then with the AME sometime after.
Don’t apply unless you are 70 or older. I don’t know what phenomenon is, but men hear what they want to hear and disregard the rest.

A prior poster correctly noted that <85% of Vmax is a denial. So is less than 8 minutes. You WILL be denied (unless you are at least 70 yrs old). And what they want at age 70 is duration prorated to six mins at age 80, from nine minutes at age 69.9.

How about preserving LSA privileges here?

And basic won't work because 6 minutes is almost always coronary disease. Even if what had was AFib, the >8 min stress to >85% is required.

The pundits here don’t understand that <85% and 8 min are MANDATORY denial limits.

You are NOT ready for a flight physical. Take HEED.

Sorry to rain, here but either I tell you ir FAA does. Which might you prefer?

Bbchien. I appreciate the post. I would much rather know now. I have an appointment with a cardiologist Monday. First order of business is of course my health. I plan to meet with a new AME after that. Cant seem to get any help or guidance from my current AME.

I have given a lot of thought to the LSA approach. I just don’t think at this point I want to go that direction. I think I would rather give up on flying altogether. I have decisions to make.

I don’t presume to know about your health but maybe your cardiologist can prescribe exercise to get into flying shape? There was a time I required a procedure to fix my heart and now I’m exercising on an ellipical and maintaining my pulse beyond the FAA requirement 6 days a week. Your cardiologist should be able to help. Take this sheet with you and tell them this is the goal. Or one of the goals. Health comes first. Good luck. Be well.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/graded_exercise/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back