Stress test vs. angiogram catheterization

B

Bester

Trying to get an SI for a 3rd class medical. Had a stent in the LAD for a 60% blockage 5 years ago. This summer I decide I want to learn to fly. Got stress test and my cardiologist decides he want to do a cath and look around. I’m completely clear and “doing great.”

Get the AME exam, pass everything, his office submits the necessary paperwork to the FAA for the SI.

After now what I understand is the typical 9 month of sending things back and forth with the FAA, they just now ask for the film of the angiogram and they also want me to do nuclear stress test, which I’m not sure my insurance will cover and I definitely can’t get done in what’s left of my 60 days. (Dated April 14 and arrived yesterday)

What is the stress test going to show that the angiogram doesn’t? I thought the angiogram was used to check up on the accuracy of the stress test. Am I right that the logic here is twisted?

Is there any way to argue this with the FAA?

Too bad all the info, traces and films weren't sent with your original application which is what Dr. Bruce here advocates, it works and might've saved you aggravation. Hopefully an AME will check in here, but IMO resistance is futile, if insurance won't pay, pay for it yourself.

Thanks PaulS fro the response.

I did include everything with the initial stress submission. That's one of my frustrations.

What is the stress test going to show that the angiogram doesn’t? I thought the angiogram was used to check up on the accuracy of the stress test. Am I right that the logic here is twisted?

I hear you ... I'm in the field and the angiogram is normally the final say.

My wife got an EKG at the GP office and they thought there was "an issue" ... it was repeated at the cardiologist office and they indicated they "thought they may be seeing something" ... PET scan was done "non-stress" using medication rather than the tread mill ... wife says room was cold and she was shivering ... PET scan showed a defect on the heart wall near the diaphragm. Independent cardiologist that reads for my group told my wife get the angio to prove it's nothing, but high chance it is a diaphragm artifact. Did the angiogram and that cardiologist said everything was perfect and wife was happy to hear them say "arteries of a teenager" ...

My take: that was an expensive first EKG, but at least she now knows everything is fine.

Don't sweat that deadline. Call your regional Flight Surgeon's office and explain that you're working on it and have them put a note in your file. I would also send a letter stating that you have received the FAA's request and that you've scheduled the test and you'll send the result when it's completed.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/rfs/
So to the OP, you can do this, and they will send you a denial and a "for further consideration letter", so that you can reopen the case.

But if 30 dayis wil make a difference you can call 405-954-4821 on the ~55th day and tell them you need the onetime permitted 30 day extension, and they will send you a letter saying the new deadine.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back