Strawberry-Rhubarb pie

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
After just completing (and sharing with visiting family from Seattle) the last few bites of Danielle's Strawberry Rhubarb pie, we just had to come back here and say "THANK YOU!" for sending a whole pie home with us, and to BEG for a copy of the recipe. By far the best SR pie we've had!

My rhubarb is ready for second cutting and the strawberries are just ripening.....I know what we're having for desert. mmmmmmmmmm

My rhubarb is ready for second cutting and the strawberries are just ripening.....I know what we're having for desert. mmmmmmmmmm

Oh, stop it. Got me drooling all over the keyboard. I'm a BC, Canada native and miss the berries. Hoping to find some huckleberries this summer in the bush. Wet spring, big berries. Gotta chase the bears out of the patch first, though.

Dan

Oh, stop it. Got me drooling all over the keyboard. I'm a BC, Canada native and miss the berries. Hoping to find some huckleberries this summer in the bush. Wet spring, big berries. Gotta chase the bears out of the patch first, though.

Dan
Why oh why did you move? BC is so nice. And less crowded and friendlier, too. :)

Thanks! :)

The recipe is very simple. I really didn't measure how much strawberries or rhubarb I put in it. I do know, I ended up filling a 7 cup tupperware container all the way up, with strawberries and rhubarb, and it was a bit much. So probably six cups should do just fine. I added a splash of water to the container and 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice. I let this sit in the fridge a few days to make its own juice.

Once the fruit is ready, I added another 1/2 cup sugar and then mixed in 3 tbsp of cornstarch (make sure this is all well blended in). I separated the juice from the fruit and put into a pot. Then I simmered it on the stove to thicken it up. After the juice was thickened, I poured and mixed it back in the fruit. Put the fruit in a nearly baked pie shell, put a top on it and put it in the oven @ 400 for 25 min and then turned it down to 350 for another 25 min. Check the last 10 min for boil over. Once it starts doing that, its pretty much done.

Thanks! :)

The recipe is very simple. I really didn't measure how much strawberries or rhubarb I put in it. I do know, I ended up filling a 7 cup tupperware container all the way up, with strawberries and rhubarb, and it was a bit much. So probably six cups should do just fine. I added a splash of water to the container and 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice. I let this sit in the fridge a few days to make its own juice.

Once the fruit is ready, I added another 1/2 cup sugar and then mixed in 3 tbsp of cornstarch (make sure this is all well blended in). I separated the juice from the fruit and put into a pot. Then I simmered it on the stove to thicken it up. After the juice was thickened, I poured and mixed it back in the fruit. Put the fruit in a nearly baked pie shell, put a top on it and put it in the oven @ 400 for 25 min and then turned it down to 350 for another 25 min. Check the last 10 min for boil over. Once it starts doing that, its pretty much done.

THANK YOU!!

It was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

You're welcome!

Oh yeah. Make sure you consistently stir the stuff when its simmering. Otherwise, you end up making it kinda chunky :(

as a guy who's family owns a strawberry farm. Strawberry Rhubarb pie is tops on my list. I'm two pies into the season so far :)

Why oh why did you move? BC is so nice. And less crowded and friendlier, too. :)
You didn't see the news today? :confused:

Actually I think I met the most helpful FBO manager I have ever met, at least in a long time, in BC about a week and a half ago.

Career change. Came to Alberta for an education and never got away. But still get to BC regularly. Fishing, relatives and friends. Need a dose of mountain air soon. And huckleberries. Folks out here think saskatoons are delicious; they've never tasted a huckleberry. Or had huckleberry pie with ice cream. Mmmm.

Dan

Career change. Came to Alberta for an education and never got away. But still get to BC regularly. Fishing, relatives and friends. Need a dose of mountain air soon. And huckleberries. Folks out here think saskatoons are delicious; they've never tasted a huckleberry. Or had huckleberry pie with ice cream. Mmmm.

Dan
I'm jealous. BC is beautiful. I was just in Vancouver today - those mountains to the east look amazing.

Cute little airport in BC. No we didn't land here, we were just out for a drive. But you could easily land a smaller airplane and the runway is in good condition. I didn't see any fuel except these barrels of JetA which I assume are for helicopters. I also didn't see anyone around or any airplanes on the ramp.

Attachments

• 2011-06-07 at 15-33-56.jpg
    2011-06-07 at 15-33-56.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2011-06-07 at 15-24-20.jpg
    2011-06-07 at 15-24-20.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2011-06-07 at 15-23-00.jpg
    2011-06-07 at 15-23-00.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 6
Back