Stratux, phantom traffic

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
Someone posted this a while back , stating they had phantom "traffic alerts" on foreflight while using stratux.

Yesterday cruising at 5500ft I got one of those. Traffic 500ft directly underneath me and climbing!
It happened maybe 3 times in a span of 3-4 minutes. I almost right away remembered reading a thread about something similar happening to someone else, but If i had not read that thread I would have FREAKED THE FFFFFF out! I still got some pucker action and still turned 45 or so degrees but,for a few seconds I could see horrible things happening before my eyes :(

It happened again and even though I was still puckering from a minute earlier, I was SLIGHTLY less panicked, same reaction for the last traffic alert. It didnt happen for the rest of the flight or the return flight home. Phantom alerts happened at 5500ft, flying back home at 3000ft I never got any

Even knowing of this flaw, I don't think I could ever ignore it and not get some puckering going on.. you can NEVER assume its just "the flaw" and not real traffic.

Anyone else get these and if so, how often?>
Is there a fix?

Happens all of the time to me. I heard the technical reasoning behind this but I am not smart enough to remember the details.

If you have adsb out you can tell stratux to ignore your plane. If you don't have ADSB out, then this is a radar return from a ground station that is being combined with other ADSB contacts and then transmitted to the STratux box.

At least it didn't look like this phantom image. Definitely got my attention for a moment.

20160622_170533.jpg

I had that issue but realized the phantom is me (well, really I'm Batman). In this case the phantom is where I was when the last radar update was done and processed. It's called latency but I don't know what that means for sure.

Yeah, I've seen that with my Stratux a couple of times. In my case I was following myself about 500' back, same altitude. I panicked when I first saw it, then realized what it was. Without ADSB-Out, it's inherent in the system, so I doubt it's unique to Stratux; I suspect a Stratus will do the same thing.

I think there's an entry on the admin page of the stratux to put your mode-S code, so that it can filter out your own return.

Of course if you don't have Mode S, that doesn't help much. I had the same issue, it keeps you on your toes!

I often see myself when using a stratux receiver, but yesterday was the first time I actually got a pop-up alert on Foreflight for traffic, same altitude, <.25 miles. A very quick "oh s***" moment and quick glance around to be sure I wasn't being over confident that it was me.

I'll be getting ADS-B out in my plane next month via GDL-82 and I assume I will then be able to tell it to ignore my ownship. Does anybody know if I will need to do that every flight or will I be able to set it up to permanently ignore my N-number?

Dual 170 shows similar. 200' low and 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind me.

Thanks everyone!
I should have googled it before posting, seems to be a thing with not only stratux but stratus as well!

I often see myself when using a stratux receiver, but yesterday was the first time I actually got a pop-up alert on Foreflight for traffic, same altitude, <.25 miles. A very quick "oh s***" moment and quick glance around to be sure I wasn't being over confident that it was me.

I'll be getting ADS-B out in my plane next month via GDL-82 and I assume I will then be able to tell it to ignore my ownship. Does anybody know if I will need to do that every flight or will I be able to set it up to permanently ignore my N-number?

From my reading, I believe you do it once and youre good!

The worse thing about these false positives is that it trains you to ignore them.

Back