Stratus

maggot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
maggot
I have the stratus 2s. When I turn it on on the ground, the attitude bar is straight and level with the horizon line. When I level out at altitude, the attitude bar is about 2.5* below the horizon line. I have deduced that the level attitude reading of the plane on the ground is different than the attitude reading in level flight. Assuming that the amount of air in the nose wheel strut or passengers in the back will change this. My solution to this is to manually set the attitude bar 2.5* above the horizon line on the ground, resulting in a correct reading in level flight.
Am I correct in doing this ? Will every different plane have a different setting on the ground ? Is the unit possibly defective ? Stratus support says to send the unit in if I think there is a problem with the unit, no problem.

my mooney sits nose up on the ground. I set my attitude indicator in the panel a few degrees below the horizon and fine tune it in the air. My guess is that the stratus needs to be adjusted in the air. If you place it in the same orientation in the plane every time, it should be close from one flight to the next.

Currently every time you turn the Stratus 2S ON, it re-calibrates to straight-and-level based on its current orientation.

maggot I suspect that your plane sits at a slightly more nose-up attitude on the ground than it flies. So adjusting the AHRS in-flight by tapping the "Gear" button above the AHRS indicator in the SV view in ForeFlight Mobile, then tapping "Calibrate" and either using the up/down arrows, or tapping "Zero Pitch & Bank" and then tapping "Save" is the way to go.

How does the Attitude bar compare to the horizon line in the AI in your plane?

Seldom is the ramp actually level, Tires are often not at the same pressure, and many aircraft are bent and do not set level.

Seldom is the ramp actually level, Tires are often not at the same pressure, and many aircraft are bent and do not set level.

broken_airplane.png

I think it's the ramp and tire pressure in my plane, too. My plane's not bent, though.

Back