Stratus?

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
So, stratus has been put for a while now. Anyone have experience with it? What are your thoughts/observations?

As long as you're in an area with ADS-B coverage (which should be nationwide within a year or two) it's a good solution for airborne wx data for VFR pilots.

I have a Garmin 496 with XM wx in the Sport Cub, which is excellent (if expensive) and I'll keep it. But I wanted wx in the C-172 as well. To get it, I had the choice of buying a new GPS (~ $1500) and adding yet another XM subscription (~ $30/month for the "Lite" package), or, buying a $799 Stratus to use with the iPad, iPhone and Foreflight subscription I already had.

Easy choice. So far the system has worked flawlessly for me.

Stratus%25204.jpg

z-photo-2.jpg

Works with iPhone, too:

Stratus_iPhone_02.jpg

How is the power requirements for Stratus? Can it last all day on battery power only?
Is it safe to just set on the glare shield and not bounce around in turbulence?

Stratus uses the same power requirements as an iPad. If you use an iPad in the cockpit you have what you need to power a Stratus - thats said - it has about an 8 hour life - my projection is about 9 or 10 even - about the same as the iPad. If I ever thought that I'd be running out of juice I would power the iPad for a while and then switch over and power the stratus for a while. They both draw about 2 amps - and the fuses for the cigar lighters in airplanes are usually 5. And the breakers are 40 years old. You might be able to charge them both but there is no need to.

If you are flying more than 10 hours a day you'll need more than just power. . . . more like a new azz.

I think that the ABS-B works just fine - was receiving out in the desert today about 40 east of PSP at about 1500AGL. Thats just about as middle of nowhere as most of us get.

I sold my 496 to buy the Stratus - and its nice not having a bill from XM every month.

Stratus uses the same power requirements as an iPad. If you use an iPad in the cockpit you have what you need to power a Stratus - thats said - it has about an 8 hour life - my projection is about 9 or 10 even - about the same as the iPad. If I ever thought that I'd be running out of juice I would power the iPad for a while and then switch over and power the stratus for a while. They both draw about 2 amps - and the fuses for the cigar lighters in airplanes are usually 5. And the breakers are 40 years old. You might be able to charge them both but there is no need to.

If you are flying more than 10 hours a day you'll need more than just power. . . . more like a new azz.

I think that the ABS-B works just fine - was receiving out in the desert today about 40 east of PSP at about 1500AGL. Thats just about as middle of nowhere as most of us get.

I sold my 496 to buy the Stratus - and its nice not having a bill from XM every month.

The T-41B I fly most of the time does not have the cig lighter power outlet. I used my iPad all the way to Alaska and return, only once did I shut it off Enroute to keep enough battery power for arrival. Most legs were 3-4 hrs with 2 legs per day.

I do think a Stratus is in my future. I need to talk to the owner about installing a power outlet before our next big trip.

I do think a Stratus is in my future. I need to talk to the owner about installing a power outlet before our next big trip.

A small 12v, 7ah gel battery, a radio shack 12v receptacle and a small camera bag to hold it all and you've got power for a long day. It's taken my ipad2 from 15% to over 50% while using it inflight.

A small 12v, 7ah gel battery, a radio shack 12v receptacle and a small camera bag to hold it all and you've got power for a long day. It's taken my ipad2 from 15% to over 50% while using it inflight.

I like that idea!! We use those batteries in our gliders! Radio, flight computers/gps receivers, electric vario, and now transponders all day on one battery!

I like that idea!! We use those batteries in our gliders! Radio, flight computers/gps receivers, electric vario, and now transponders all day on one battery!

It's been my emergency backup for years (since soaring days gave me the idea!) I carry it on all x-c flights. Has three 12v receptacles if needed.

Back