STRATUS USB charger and iPad problem

TBalch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TBalch
I had a Stratus charging port installed in the 182.

When I plug in the iPad charging cable, the charging icon flashes on and off on a fairly regular cycle. When I plug it into my iPhone, no such problem - the icon indicates a steady charge.

I've done I can think of with the cable connections, and it does not appear to be a connection issue.

I'm wondering if any Members have had a similar experience and have been able to resolve it.

What current can the charging port deliver? The iPad wants more current (around 2 amps) than an iPhone (1 amp).

EDIT: A quick web search suggests the charger itself should be able to deliver 2.5 amps. Check the wiring. If there is a "solid state" fuse, make sure it is the correct rating.

Last edited:
Does it charge at home,if not it could be an internal problem in the IPad.

You need a USB charger rated for the current the iPad draws. Sometimes you also need to dump any non-certified cables as many wont handle the current.

I have a couple of what looked like nice USB to Lightning cables here (nylon wrapped, sturdy) that refuse to charge iPads at full rate even hooked to Apple chargers. Trash.

I think the cable is likely the problem, as it is almost certainly a knock-off.

I'll try a known Apple cable, and thanks for the suggestions here.

In my experiences with iPods, iPhones and iPads, probably 20 devices in total, most weird undiagnosable problems go away when a genuine Apple cable is used. At first I found this irritating, but I finally realized that the extra cost of Apple cables was insignificant compared to the cost of the devices and the increased blood pressure. :)

Back