Stratus II, and support of Syn Vision

Luigi

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Luigi
I contacted foreflight requesting their implementation of Syn vision, and whether the Stratus II device would support that option, they could not answer the question. Any thoughts? I don't want to buy a Stratus II and not be able to avail myself of Syn Vision ( FF says they plan to implement same). Thanks!

I contacted foreflight requesting their implementation of Syn vision, and whether the Stratus II device would support that option, they could not answer the question. Any thoughts? I don't want to buy a Stratus II and not be able to avail myself of Syn Vision ( FF says they plan to implement same). Thanks!

I don't know the answer, but I'm glad to hear FF is planning to implement SV.

The only things required to support synthetic vision are a WAAS GPS receiver and an AHRS, both of which are included with the StratusII. I see absolutely no reason why FF can't implement SV with that for support. Technically a cellular iPad II or III has all that inside but you'd need a rigid mount for the tablet to use the internal gyros.

I'm not sure I know what your question is, and why you think FF didn't answer it? Stratus II certainly has the hardware components of what's necessary to implement synthetic vision. I'm surprised FF told you they plan to implement it, most tech companies don't discuss future offerings because it tends to kill current sales.

So what is it you want to know, exactly? :dunno:

Just guessing but it would make a splash for them at Sun n Fun. They seem to try and have big release news at SnF and OSH. Guess we will know in a bit over a month.

Carl

I'm surprised FF told you they plan to implement it, most tech companies don't discuss future offerings because it tends to kill current sales.

Why would it kill current sales when all upgrades are free?? :dunno: If anything, it may keep some in the FF camp who might otherwise be looking at alternatives with SV.

Here is FF s email response:

Hi,

Synthetic Vision is something we do want to offer, but nothing to announce yet. We appreciate hearing your needs.

Please stay tuned for lots of great new features in 2014.

And come and see us a Sun N Fun!

Pete Vincent
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

Sun n fun is around the corner, they may have something to share at the show. Will be worth a few minutes of my time to visit their booth.

If FF doesn't get their SynVis moving along soon, they will lose a lot of customers to Garmin Pilot. I'm thinking of switching from FF to Pilot just for the SynVis.

Garmin pilot has become an amazing app. It's not just SVT. The vector based mapping is beautiful, I hardly ever switch to the sectional view anymore. Everyone should really take a serious look at it. This is coming from a long time FF user!

I wouldn't hold my breath. They haven't been able to get a portrait layout done yet either and I emailed them about this mid year last year which they confirmed was on the roadmap then. I thought perhaps they were going to intertwine the apps w FF and then get rid of the Stratus app esp given no new features being introduced in the Stratus app since they released it the first time.

I wouldn't hold my breath. They haven't been able to get a portrait layout done yet either and I emailed them about this mid year last year which they confirmed was on the roadmap then.

What do you mean by "a portrait layout"? I've been using ForeFlight in Portrait mode forever.

If you mean the Stratus app, that's not ForeFlight's product, it's Appareo's, and has no bearing on when ForeFlight will or won't release synthetic vision.

I thought my post was clear, but perhaps not. Stratus app. FF has worked as you say in portrait mode "forever."

I thought my post was clear, but perhaps not. Stratus app. FF has worked as you say in portrait mode "forever."

What wasn't clear is that you were saying not to hold one's breath for synthetic vision because the Stratus Horizon app hasn't been updated. I was simply pointing out that ForeFlight has nothing to do with that app, so why should anyone hold their breath? :dunno:

What wasn't clear is that you were saying not to hold one's breath for synthetic vision because the Stratus Horizon app hasn't been updated. I was simply pointing out that ForeFlight has nothing to do with that app, so why should anyone hold their breath? :dunno:

Yes, don't expect Stratus to update their app. I wasn't referring to FF. See post 11.

Garmin pilot has become an amazing app. It's not just SVT. The vector based mapping is beautiful, I hardly ever switch to the sectional view anymore. Everyone should really take a serious look at it. This is coming from a long time FF user!

I agree. Been using ForeFlight since the first days, and for the past year or so have also had Garmin Pilot. When Garmin shipped the GDL 39 3D earlier this year, that was the push I needed. Got mine last week and it's pretty darn cool and useful. And the vector mapping is truly nice, especially in a mode where "up" is the direction your plane is heading (as opposed to north-up display needed to read a scanned/electronic version of the FAA charts).

Here is FF s email response:

Hi,

Synthetic Vision is something we do want to offer, but nothing to announce yet. We appreciate hearing your needs.

Please stay tuned for lots of great new features in 2014.

And come and see us a Sun N Fun!

Pete Vincent
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

Just a thought....

Reading between the lines -

"Synthetic Vision is something we do want to offer, but nothing to announce yet."
"And come and see us a Sun N Fun!"

just saying....(but my crystal ball is broken)

Back