Stratus Horizon Pro Radio Transcription

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
Has anyone used this service? https://stratusbyappareo.com/products/stratus-horizon-pro-app/
The voice to text concept seems great and I just briefly tried the 1 month free version with a regular microphone to my overhead speaker which is very clear (I did not use the approved cable you attach thru your headset as you have to purchase it.) It did not seem to work very well. There are two options, cabin and radio recordings. I could only get the cabin part to work and as mentioned, it worked poorly. What I'm wondering is if I use the approved cable would results improve?

My problem is listening and interpreting. In that department my wife can tell you I rate a 'D' minus. I fall flat as soon as ATC says anything I have not heard before, I'm just looking for any help possible.

I'd recommend an audio panel with playback, and maybe spend a lot of time listening to liveATC on the internet.

For most people, understanding voices has a lot to do with pattern recognition, and so the more time you spend listening to something like live ATC, which you can stream while you're driving your car doing other things, will set your brain up to recognize things a lot better.

I would also highly recommend having your hearing checked, as many times people can have specific frequencies that are not as strong in their hearing, and this might affect your ability to interpret what's being said on the radio through your headphones.

Lastly, invest in a good set of noise canceling headphones and an excellent audio panel, both of those things might also help a lot.

Lastly, invest in a good set of noise canceling headphones and an excellent audio panel, both of those things might also help a lot.

Agreed. Having a good audio panel, especially a modern one with 3D audio and Bluetooth, is life altering.

I bought the adapter cable and the service. My results were less than satisfactory. It was about 50%-60% accurate on words. Yes, it does understand aviation terminology. And you can usually understand what was being said when it is off a bit. What surprised me was how inaccurate it was with numbers. Misinterpreting altitudes, headings, etc. was the deal breaker for me.

Audio panels are great. Hardware not too pricey. But the install cost nixed my plan for putting it in the ol Cherokee. Familiarization and knowing what to expect to hear helps.

As far as voice to text... You can tell when someone uses it on a phone. Texts are incoherent. A drunk monkey could make more sense.

I have been experimenting with this and, honestly, not worth the money. I have called Stratus and explained where the issues are with bad transcriptions. They didn’t really seem interested in the issues. I told them I have been getting better, more accurate transcriptions using Google Live Transcribe on my Android Tablet. Another nice thing Live transcribe has that Stratus does not have is a dictionary you can add words or phrases to.
I am an 8000 + hour pilot and Flight Instructor.
Sadly, when I was on the phone with Stratus, they didn’t really seem interested in how to make the product BETTER.
The way it transcribes, words make no sense a lot. Like stated above, a drunk monkey would make more sense, sorry to say!

Back