Stratus hardwired behind the panel-PIREP?

imwithtuxedo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
J
Any PIREP on mounting my Stratus unit behind the panel (Cherokee) and having my A&P run a hardwire so that it comes on with the Master? Concerned about reception of the unit if I decide not to use a remote antenna. Anyone done it?

Most setup behind the panel I have seen on YT videos are like that, but nearly all of them uses remote antenna for reception

I had the Appareo transponder installed for ADS-B compliance, and I was already using a Stratus 2 with the ipad. Had the Stratus 2 installed behind the panel, wired in with the avionics master, and receiving via an external antenna. The set-up is great. I don't see how you could do the Stratus behind the panel without and antenna, although I suppose you could run the wire from the installation to the window suction or something.
Jon

Did a test yesterday to see if the stratus would see satellites without an external antenna. On the ground I had some decent coverage, but at 3500', the coverage was less. Not sure why that is. Might try a different position behind the panel. IMG_6690.PNG IMG_6692.PNG

I too had the stratus 2 when I had the esg installed. Since I still flew in other people's planes I needed to be able to access my stratus 2.

So the avionics shop installed the stratus 2 in my pilot side foot well just forward of and slightly above the fuel selector. They ran the connection kit over to it and it used ship power and antenna. If I needed it just unplug and take it with me.

This was in my cherokee 180.

I have my Stratus II behind the panel. There's no metal above it so I had pretty decent GPS and ADSB signal. Installed a homemade ADSB antenna and signal strength went WAY up. :)

Back