Stratus Gen 2 Released

Stratus and Garmin will pick up ADS-B R, but the R has to be triggered by someone near you with ADSB Out. The R broadcast is to that aircraft and you can listen in and get the data.

TIS-B is no different, the broadcast must be triggered by an ADS-B Out aircraft, and only shows traffic within a certain proximity of the aircraft triggering the transmission.

ADS-R provides information about other ADS-B Out traffic, while TIS-B provides information about secondary targets not transmitting ADS-B Out.

JKG

Last edited:
The critical difference between "old Stratus" and "new Stratus" in terms of traffic capabilities is the fact that the old model is single-band, while the new one is dual-band:

• Old Stratus: 978 MHz only - meaning traffic received only via ground stations
  • New Stratus: 978 MHZ and 1090 MHz traffic - meaning received via ground stations when in range, plus air-to-air on 1090 (air-to-air, ADS-R, and TIS-B traffic).

The critical difference between "old Stratus" and "new Stratus" in terms of traffic capabilities is the fact that the old model is single-band, while the new one is dual-band:

• Old Stratus: 978 MHz only - meaning traffic received only via ground stations
  • New Stratus: 978 MHZ and 1090 MHz traffic - meaning received via ground stations when in range, plus air-to-air on 1090 (air-to-air, ADS-R, and TIS-B traffic).

What about aircraft equipped with 978 MHz out? Are you saying the old Stratus won't pick those up air-to-air?

Wow. I don't get any of this. Would it be wise for me to wait and get the stratus 2 or just get the stratus 1. I have Foreflight but would like to get traffic if I could. What's happening in 2020? What will be the requirement

Wow. I don't get any of this. Would it be wise for me to wait and get the stratus 2 or just get the stratus 1. I have Foreflight but would like to get traffic if I could. What's happening in 2020? What will be the requirement

There are basically two standards for ADS-B Out:

978MHz (UAT) Out is acceptable for aircraft operating below FL180.
1090MHz (ES) Out is required for aircraft operating above FL180.

As far as I've heard, 1090MHz will be the adopted standard internationally as well.

As for traffic detection with Stratus, it is my assumption that either Stratus box will receive and display air-to-air UAT traffic, because that is how the system is supposed to work. However, I suspect that most of the present aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out are commercial operators transmitting on 1090MHz, not UAT. Unless you have the dual-band receiver (Stratus 2), you won't see 1090MHz traffic except via ADS-R (the rebroadcast of that traffic from a ground station).

A summary of my understanding on the Stratus capabilities:

Stratus 1 will receive on 978MHz for ADS-R (1090 traffic rebroadcast), TIS-B (Mode A/C secondary target rebroadcast), UAT air-to-air traffic, and FIS-B (weather information).

Stratus 2 will receive on 978MHz and 1090MHz, which includes all capabilities from Stratus 1, plus the ability to receive air-to-air traffic from aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out on 1090MHz. Stratus 2 also includes AHRS, for those who want a non-certified horizon backup using Appareo's standalone app designed for this purpose. I suspect that ForeFlight may integrate the AHRS capability of Stratus 2 into a synthetic vision display in the future.

JKG

There are basically two standards for ADS-B Out:

978MHz (UAT) Out is acceptable for aircraft operating below FL180.
1090MHz (ES) Out is required for aircraft operating above FL180.

As far as I've heard, 1090MHz will be the adopted standard internationally as well.

As for traffic detection with Stratus, it is my assumption that either Stratus box will receive and display air-to-air UAT traffic, because that is how the system is supposed to work. However, I suspect that most of the present aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out are commercial operators transmitting on 1090MHz, not UAT. Unless you have the dual-band receiver (Stratus 2), you won't see 1090MHz traffic except via ADS-R (the rebroadcast of that traffic from a ground station).

A summary of my understanding on the Stratus capabilities:

Stratus 1 will receive on 978MHz for ADS-R (1090 traffic rebroadcast), TIS-B (Mode A/C secondary target rebroadcast), UAT air-to-air traffic, and FIS-B (weather information).

Stratus 2 will receive on 978MHz and 1090MHz, which includes all capabilities from Stratus 1, plus the ability to receive air-to-air traffic from aircraft transmitting ADS-B Out on 1090MHz. Stratus 2 also includes AHRS, for those who want a non-certified horizon backup using Appareo's standalone app designed for this purpose. I suspect that ForeFlight may integrate the AHRS capability of Stratus 2 into a synthetic vision display in the future.

JKG

In other words, buy the 2 and save yourself the regrets. :wink2:

The Gen 2 in addition to being white, also has an internal fan to help cooling. Overheating was one of the biggest complaints of the first model.

In other words, buy the 2 and save yourself the regrets. :wink2:

If I were buying now, I would probably buy the 2. It's technology, and you might as well buy the best that you can afford at the time. As an original Stratus owner, I don't see enough value in upgrading even for the AHRS, but I have diversely powered attitude gyros in the panel.

I don't think that the 1090MHz receiver is much of a big deal, especially at the present time. I suspect that most targets are still Mode A/C and broadcast via TIS-B, and the 1090MHz targets would be rebroadcast via ADS-R in the same areas. Who knows what technology will be around as we approach the year 2020, or whether that date will even stick.

JKG

Anyone have experience with this product? http://www.skyvisionxtreme.com/

I guess from what I understand, stratus 1/2 does not do what this does, so you are still missing a ton of traffic. Is this a good method of getting mostly all of traffic out there.

Anyone have experience with this product? http://www.skyvisionxtreme.com/

I guess from what I understand, stratus 1/2 does not do what this does, so you are still missing a ton of traffic. Is this a good method of getting mostly all of traffic out there.

Incorrect!!! Their site promises the world, but their box is basically equivalent to a Stratus 1 in terms of features and is a horrible kludge and awful in terms of usability - And I can confidently say this after just a quick read of their quick start guide which states, among other things, that "It will usually take 3-4 minutes for the Appliance to boot". In addition, this box does not connect to any existing iPad apps, nor will it: The device is simply a Windows computer that you connect to via a remote desktop client called "pocket cloud."

What a misconceived product. Yuck.

Incorrect!!! Their site promises the world, but their box is basically equivalent to a Stratus 1 in terms of features and is a horrible kludge and awful in terms of usability - And I can confidently say this after just a quick read of their quick start guide which states, among other things, that "It will usually take 3-4 minutes for the Appliance to boot". In addition, this box does not connect to any existing iPad apps, nor will it: The device is simply a Windows computer that you connect to via a remote desktop client called "pocket cloud."

What a misconceived product. Yuck.

Other than it not being for Ipad and slow to boot, does it provide the traffic that is says it will? Are you saying that stratus 2 does the exact same thing? (traffic wise)

Other than it not being for Ipad and slow to boot, does it provide the traffic that is says it will? Are you saying that stratus 2 does the exact same thing? (traffic wise)

Stratus does not provide ADS-B Out. ForeFlight's recommendation for ADS-B Out equipment comes from this vendor: http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/ads-b/products

If I were going to add ADS-B Out at the moment, I would probably use the Garmin GTX330ES, simply because I have an old, old, old transponder, and Mode A/C will be around for at least another 7 years. Trig has some less expensive transponder/ADS-B products, but I have not heard especially good things about Trig avionics.

JKG

Troy, there is a "Filter Traffic" option in the settings for 5.1. Thus, if you only want nearby aircraft to show up, you can do that - Or if you're a geek like me who likes seeing tons of other aircraft, you can do that too. ;)

Awesome, thanks Kent!

What's the delay in weather compared to XM weather?

It does provide traffic, via an incredibly kludgy mess that introduces multiple points of failure and is heavy and expensive.

Also, it provides the same traffic as Stratus 1 (UAT). Stratus 2 provides both UAT and 1090ES traffic, so Stratus 2 does more than the SkyVision.

What's the delay in weather compared to XM weather?

If there is a difference between the two in terms of the delay for radar data in general, I haven't noticed it.

What is different is that the ADS-B system currently only provides the 5-minute updates for the "local" area (ie about 250nm around you), the national updates are somewhat slower though I don't know the exact specification offhand.

If there is a difference between the two in terms of the delay for radar data in general, I haven't noticed it.

What is different is that the ADS-B system currently only provides the 5-minute updates for the "local" area (ie about 250nm around you), the national updates are somewhat slower though I don't know the exact specification offhand.

It takes 5 min to build a NEXRAD image so 5-min updates are about as quick as you'll get.

It takes 5 min to build a NEXRAD image so 5-min updates are about as quick as you'll get.

True, but there an be a difference in terms of transmission time. However, like I said, if there is one between XM and Stratus, I sure haven't noticed it.

It does provide traffic, via an incredibly kludgy mess that introduces multiple points of failure and is heavy and expensive.

Also, it provides the same traffic as Stratus 1 (UAT). Stratus 2 provides both UAT and 1090ES traffic, so Stratus 2 does more than the SkyVision.

UAT receivers will receive 1090ES traffic in areas where there is ADS-R service.

I'm not sure that I'd invest in a "portable" ADS-B Out box, since they are unlikely to meet the FAA requirements and aren't that much less than a panel-mount solution. Nothing will guarantee to capture all traffic, so it's probably best to keep the eyeball scan alive regardless of the onboard technology.

JKG

A bit of a sidetrack but who is the stratus-2 or any portable ADS-B for? (VFR pilot here)

+1. The biggest airplane I have ever seen totally filled the windshield ahead of me when nobody else was supposed to be there. I'm pretty sure the pilot of the turbine-powered Mode-nada cropduster who crossed in front of me at 10,000' was oblivious to my proximity and if I hadn't seen him in time to (barely) dive behind him the noise would have violated the abatement policy.

UAT receivers will receive 1090ES traffic in areas where there is ADS-R service.

I'm not sure that I'd invest in a "portable" ADS-B Out box, since they are unlikely to meet the FAA requirements and aren't that much less than a panel-mount solution. Nothing will guarantee to capture all traffic, so it's probably best to keep the eyeball scan alive regardless of the onboard technology.

JKG

A bit of a sidetrack but who is the stratus-2 or any portable ADS-B for? (VFR pilot here)

No doubt it's more useful for IFR pilots, but it's nice to be able to see what your destination and enroute weather is when you're not in range of the AWOS broadcasts yet. You can plan a diversion or decide to return home long before you could otherwise.

I don't think there's much use for a VFR pilot to get the Stratus 2 (with AHRS) over the Stratus 1, though. That's probably why they're going to continue to sell both models.

Darn suction cup mount for it doesnt hold very well, i have had it for about a month and it fell off my window about 2 feet down to the floor of my plane, dunno if i should return it for an exchange, it still works as far as ive seen but idk if i messed up like the accuracy or something now :dunno:

Last edited:
Darn suction cup mount for it doesnt hold very well, i have had it for about a month and it fell off my window about 2 feet down to the floor of my plane, dunno if i should return it for an exchange, it still works as far as ive seen but idk if i messed up like the accuracy or something now :dunno:

Same here... It's a RAM mount and mine fell off twice. After that, I decided to leave it on the dash permanently.

Back