Stratus from Sporty's

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Stratus from Sportys

To buy or not to buy, that is the question. [and if to buy, which one, S1 @ $549 or S2 @ $899, plus outrageous shipping]:dunno:

Last edited:
Hey I paid $899 for a 2 back in Jan of this year, at least you get the same price with a slight upgrade. Get it, you will enjoy it. I love mine.

Hey I paid $899 for a 2 back in Jan of this year, at least you get the same price with a slight upgrade. Get it, you will enjoy it. I love mine.

Why not just the 1S @ $549???

Dual band and ADHARS. Hmmm, maybe dual band will make a difference, maybe not. Same with ADHARS. I haven't turned on synthetic vision on Foreflight...

I wanted the biggest and baddest.

But really I wanted the back up AHRS. I have no doubt when the poop hits the fan I can get down safely with the AHRS. Ive done it with a safety pilot on board.

I have the Stratus 2 and love it. It's great to have, especially on long cross countries. It's also very useful this time of year with all of the storms. While the weather is a little outdated, it's still current enough to allow me to change my plan in the air if necessary. It's worth it. If I was looking to purchase one or upgrade mine, I'd go for the S2.

Dual band is nice to have for traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To buy or not to buy, that is the question. [and if to buy, which one, S1 @ $549 or S2 @ $899, plus outrageous shipping]:dunno:

I wouldn't think twice - they're great. I still have my Stratus 2. But if I find a buyer for it i'll buy the S2 without a question... Sure I'll get flamed - but you asked..

If you're IFR the 2S is a huge safety tool. If you're a VFR weekender or similar, the 1S is a nice safety tool.

Do it, you'll love it. For me, having the AHRS/SV is a valuable addition. As a VFR pilot, the idea of getting caught by pop up IMC made having SV worth it for safety backup.

Delayed our departure to OSH to wait for the delivery of my Stratus 2S. It wasn't charged so I flew the first leg without it and charged it overnight. The next day we were able to use the Foreflight and the Stratus to deviate west of our planned route due to weather. My friend (owner of the airplane) was watching via Flight Aware and was concerned about the weather until he saw us deviate. I later sent a screen shot of what we had and he was amazed. Neither of us had flown with any Stratus prior to this. I flew with my brother in his 172 on a very short hop and linked my Stratus with his Foreflight and the AHRS display blew him away. I do not have synthetic vision yet but will get it. My brothers comment was "I can have a glass panel!

Is it worth it? I think so.

Status 2 ---- best money spent so far! PERIOD

Thanks to all for the input on the Stratus 2S. Just ordered mine today for the reasons virtually all have mentioned. :D

Delayed our departure to OSH to wait for the delivery of my Stratus 2S. It wasn't charged so I flew the first leg without it and charged it overnight.

It's probably a good thing you didn't have it for the first leg. Would you have wanted to see this? :D

Attachments

• 2015-07-24 09.41.38.png
    2015-07-24 09.41.38.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 54
Back