Stratus for ads-b

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
Will stratus on the iPad fulfill the upcoming requirements for ads-b or will I need to upgrade the 430 to 430w?

I'm not expert, but it is my understanding that only a panel mounted system can be used legally for instrument approaches.

As far as the upcoming ADS-B requirements, the Stratus is only a receiver for weather and not the aircraft positioning system that will be required in 2020.

I'm sure there are many more knowledgable than myself that will offer more detail.

That said, I've been using Foreflight a year and a half now. My flying is relatively local, so I have no real need for the in flight weather information available via the Stratus. If you DO have a need for inflight weather, it can certainly offer an econmic source along with the great features and uses of Foreflight.

Hope this helps,

Will stratus on the iPad fulfill the upcoming requirements for ads-b or will I need to upgrade the 430 to 430w?

No, the Stratus is an ADS-B portable receiver. The 2020 mandate requires an ADS-B Out system (transmiter) that is compliant with the rule and must be installed in the aircraft. There are two technologies that will satisfy the rule below 18000 feet. One operates on 978 MHz and goes by the moniker of UAT. The other operates on 1090 MHz and is an extension of a mode S transponder and called 1090ES and may be used below 18000, but is required above 18000. Either technology requires a very accurate position source. At this point in time, only a WAAS receiver meets the requirements. The position source may be built in to the ADS-B unit, a stand alone receiver, or an existing approved WAAS GPS. A transponder is still required. The rule only deals with transmitting aircraft position to the FAA ground station and provides no benefits to the user. The benefits are in the non mandated receiver, but in order to receive reliable traffic information, the aircraft must meet the rule requirements for ADS-B Out.

:yeahthat:
No, the Stratus is an ADS-B portable receiver. The 2020 mandate requires an ADS-B Out system (transmiter) that is compliant with the rule and must be installed in the aircraft. There are two technologies that will satisfy the rule below 18000 feet. One operates on 978 MHz and goes by the moniker of UAT. The other operates on 1090 MHz and is an extension of a mode S transponder and called 1090ES and may be used below 18000, but is required above 18000. Either technology requires a very accurate position source. At this point in time, only a WAAS receiver meets the requirements. The position source may be built in to the ADS-B unit, a stand alone receiver, or an existing approved WAAS GPS. A transponder is still required. The rule only deals with transmitting aircraft position to the FAA ground station and provides no benefits to the user. The benefits are in the non mandated receiver, but in order to receive reliable traffic information, the aircraft must meet the rule requirements for ADS-B Out.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
What he said. Stratus is a portable reciever only, FIS-B, weather, no traffic and works with Forflight.

Garmin reciever will work with Garmin software on iPad, receive only. Weather and limited traffic information, LIMITED traffic information.

Neither Status or Garmin portable recievers meet ADS-B out requirements.

Back