Stratus ESG ADS-B Traffic traffic warning audio alerts

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
Does this system (Transponder plus Stratus 2S) have these audio alerts via the audio panel or is this only coming from a connection on the iPad app to your headset? I know the GTX-345 has the audio interface to the panel.

How much do you like the audio alerts? I would think this is a key feature to get timely alerts. It would be nice to be able to shut it off/acknowledge as well when you have sighted the traffic.

Thanks

With just a portable unit and ForeFlight, I route the audio to just one channel on my stereo headset.

Otherwise, you run the risk of the traffic alerts running over ATC comms.

Panel transponder is obviously a totally different animal.

Another nice aspect of the alert coming from the the audio panel is that everyone with headsets can help look for traffic, but maybe this is moot because with the traffic on the map you can easily find it.

Appareo's Stratus 2S runs via WiFi with ForeFlight on the iPad. The audio alerts are generated by the iPad. If I crank it up, I can hear them in ambient cockpit noise. A better method would be Bluetooth out from the iPad to your headset or audio panel. Hope this helps...

Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was thinking.

How valuable are the alerts? Do you you find yourself noticing the traffic on the display before you get the alert. I tend to want to keep my eyes outside.

From my view, a critical and oft-understated aspect of EFB use is positioning the iPad/tablet. Where will you put it so you can see it without glare and - especially - without risking disorientation?
Since I rent, it's hard to find good placement. Too often, it ends up on the copilot seat if I'm solo - this risks disorientation since I turn my head 90D right and then down to see it. Not ideal!
Good placement puts the EFB in a position allowing you to include it in your normal instrument panel scan.
Again, I really emphasize how important it is to have good placement of the EFB to make it an effective tool.

Back