Stratus - CO reading

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I'm a fairly new owner of a Stratus. I've flown my 182 quite a few times this week & have noticed I'm getting a CO alert only on climb out. It very consistently reads 75 ppm then in a few minutes goes green & never comes on again during the flight. I flew five flights on Saturday for Young Eagles & it only alerted on the first flight of the day. Is this normal?

I also want to add that a new exhaust system was installed in the airplane 5 years ago when I purchased it.

To state the obvious, pull the cowl and inspect the complete exhaust system.

There are "sniffer" testers that can locate exhaust leaks and they are not that expensive anymore.

This is not something to minimize, IMO. Find out why this is happening before you take anyone else in the plane with you.

I like to pressurize the system with a Leaf Blower and spray soap and water

to find leaks.

Visually check the Firewall for CO paths as well.

We have a SensorConn mounted on the panel (high up, co-pilot side). In the 182P I have never seen anything over 8ppm once off the ground, in any phase of flight. Maybe it if were mounted somewhere else it would read higher. I think it will also blink and beep or 35ppm and I have never seen that happen. Winter warm-up is usually the worst running upwards of 16ppm or so.

If you know someone else with a portable monitor maybe you should cross check.

I think the short term limit is 300pm or something like that so its probably okay. But something seems off. How are your vents configured? And are both doors shut tight. Closed but not locked can create some crazy drafts.

I fly a 182H. I use sensorcon CO detector. I see a jump on climbout that I don’t see cruising. Maybe 15-20ppm. I played around a lot and found it was actually higher in the back of the plane-passenger seats. Came down to the deal on the cargo door is not the best and I think I was pulling CO through the slipstream. Now I close door more slowly to get a better seal snd notice minimal CO.

Back