Stratus behind panel

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there such a thing as a PRX-V2 being mounted as such, in a certified a/c?
Ie, inaccessible without panel cover removal.
Link to description? lmgtfy found nothing.

While IDK if it's legal to mount *behind* the *instrument* panel, remote mounting is very much a possibility and the S2 was built for it. It has ports for at least a remote GPS antenna (line of sight to sky), if not remote ADSB antenna (line of sight to ground) and it has the option of turning on when ship's power comes online. I don't personally use it, have never seen it done, but I know of one person on another forum that did it in his Mooney.

I don't know what a "PRX-V2" is, Nor do I know who "lmgtfy" is.

But between the title and the post, I'm guessing it has to do with mounting a Stratus remotely and not having access to it during flight?

If so, that's how mine is mounted. I tested the battery function when I originally installed it. It comes on with the master and as long as you have better than some speed (I think 25 or 40 kts) when ships power is lost, it will run off the battery.

I don't know what a "PRX-V2" is, Nor do I know who "lmgtfy" is.

I googled prx-v2 and it returned stratus links. It must be the stratus' official model number? Dunno, never heard it before.

LMGTFY is Let Me Google That For You. Meaning he googled it first with no results, probably preemptively stopping people from telling him to go google his question first.

The first thing people will ask is what model? So I preemptively looked on the back of it, posted that...in order to reduce thread clutter. Haha!

If the serial number begins with PRX-V2 it is a Stratus 2, sold by Sporty's and discontinued early 2015. It was replaced by the Stratus 2S, which says 2S on the front and has a serial number beginning with 2S. They are sold by all Appareo dealers, including your local shop (and Sporty's).

The units are functionally the same - the only significant difference is the USB connection. Stratus 2 uses USB Type 3.0 and Stratus 2S uses USB Type C.

Back