Stratus ADS-b external antenna ?

Luv2Huvr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I just got the Stratus 2 and notice that around my home airport I have to be >1500' MSL to get signal. I'm wondering anyone else out there have the Stratus 2 that bought the External Antenna? I want to know how much better reception you can get with the External Antenna.

I just got the Stratus 2 and notice that around my home airport I have to be >1500' MSL to get signal. I'm wondering anyone else out there have the Stratus 2 that bought the External Antenna? I want to know how much better reception you can get with the External Antenna.
Try holding it out the window. :D

Do you know where the nearest ADS-B ground station is relative to your home airport? It's all line of sight reception so it it's more than a few miles away you'll need to be airborne to receive the signal.

I don't get reception on the ground, but I know I do around 1000' AGL. I haven't looked when in-between those altitudes. I am thinking about getting the external antenna for more mounting options when flying a variety of aircraft.

Those altitudes are pretty standard for ADS-B reception. I don't see why that's a problem. Do you frequently take off with a storm bearing down on the field ?

Yep. that 1000' agl is pretty standard. The relay is via ground stations so I think it's subject to the same kinds of issues as other ground-to-air signals.

Those altitudes are pretty standard for ADS-B reception. I don't see why that's a problem. Do you frequently take off with a storm bearing down on the field ?

No its not a problem, I am just looking to see what is normal and would the price of the external antenna make it worth it and make it usable a lower altitudes, (for the times I'm in the helicopter) of course in the Airplane that is not a problem.

I did notice today, at KMAI it works on the ground. :)

Back